Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
styVe
My Device: Bold 9900

Trouble with the Bold 9900's Trackpad

Device info

BlackBerry Bold 9900

OS v7.0.0.296, Plattform 5.0.0.496

Apps and free space

Did a battery pull fix your issue? - No

Apps installed and their version if possible. - None, besides the default applications.

Problem

The Trackpad overreacts, when exposed to sunlight. It constantly scrolls down- and sidewards, when facing the sun at a more or less direct angle. It stops, as soon as I turn its back toward the sun or cover it from sunlight.It is impossible to use this device outside.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Trouble with the Bold 9900's Trackpad

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Here are some tips for trackpad issues.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB29640 Troubleshooting Trackpad, Trackball, and Keyboard issues on a BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
styVe

Hi,

thank you for replying.

I followed the instruction given in the shortmanual for troubleshooting. But - as was to be expected - nothing changed:

The sensitivity is moderately adjusted (and even if it was scaled up to 100/100, this should not be happening...).

I really hope there is no dirt beneath the trackpad of a practically new phone,

The software works just fine and is up to date; the trackpad functions normally when used inside a house (but apparently it is very susceptible to sunlight and/or wind...).

This leaves me with a malfunction of the hardware?

Have there been reports from other users, describing the same problem?

Visitor
DiamondBA
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Hello,

I have absolutely the same problem with my new Bold 9900.

On sunlight scrolling down all the time and makes phone TOTALLY unusable, I have to hide from the sun to get something to work.

It is just 2 weeks old, so no even thoughts about any dirt under trackpad. The software version is last one for O2 UK, budle 2406.

We have Torch 9800 and Curve 8520 in family with the same Trackpad, there are no problems with using it on sunlight, which is saying that this problem is definitely with either hardware or software of exact model.

PS: It's pity, but Blackberry devices are becoming worse and worse. 2 month old Playbook at service now, this problem with Trackpad on 9900....

kloden2000

I've got the exact same problem with my brand new 9900 from Rogers.  It scrolls up constantly in the sun and is unsuable outside.  So much for trying to take pictures.

Going to return it tonight.

sabil
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930

Sun or no sun, replacing my old, reliable Blackberry world phone with the Bold has been a nightmare.  The first bold space bar continually locked and typing, which used to be easy and reliable, became a total challenge.  I'd start typing and found whatever I'd be typing showing up all over the page.  Everything seemed to float for no apparent reason.  Verizon replaced that Bold after a few months because of the space bar problem.  I thought the replacement would be better.  Yes, the space bar works but I'm still typing all over creation.  It's maddening.  This occurs whether there's sun or no sun and no matter where I might be. 

I used to love my old Blackberry but I'm about ready for a divorce from RIM.  I do need an international phone and e-mail as I'm out of the country fairly often. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nad42

I have exactly the same problem. The trackpad renders the phone nearly useless in direct sunlight. Never ever have the problem unless outside in the sun. It has done it since i got it a few months ago, with every os version that has been out between now and then, it is currently on 7.1 bundle 1149 ( v7.1.0.342, platform 5.1.0.276). Other than this the phone is fantastic...

Is there a known problem and is there a fix? Should i send it away to be replaced? 

Willhh
My Device: bold 9900

Yup I've had the same with my new Bold 9900 !! ... I've tried ALL the RIM blah blah ... to extreme of reloaded software number of times but still sit with the same irritating problem ... Ive complained, asked nicely, begged, threatened but all to no avail ... in fact its almost as if RIM [South Africa] dont care about their product ... why then should we as consumers ... in short BB sucks ! ... this will be my last BB ... Andoid in future.

Trusted Contributor
Messagepads
My Device: Q10 and PlayBook 64Gb

This must be hardware-related in my humble opinion.

I discovered this strange bahviour by reading the post and I went outside with my (almost brand new) 9900 in plain sun (it's currently incredibly hot outside so it's real sun I swear) and my trackpad is behaving totally normally.

This is my second 9900 and never encountered such a problem.

I would advise to contact your vendor for technical support.

-------------
Don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
New Contributor
Scotty
My Device: Not Specified

I've had my Bold 9900 for quite a while now and have always had this problem from Day 1.  I believe the trackpad uses infrared light reflected of the fingertip to work but the Australian sun just pushes out too much of that stuff to make the 9900 useable in direct sunlight.  Inside or in larger shadows it works great though.