Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Two devices

I live in the UK and have two Bold 9900, one with a UK simcard with full BIS. and the other device with a foreign simcard from another country, let's call it A.

When I am in the UK, the other device (with the foreign simcard) does NOT have data service.

When I go A, I turn off  the data service of the UK simcard, and upon arrival in A, I switch on the other device with the local provider also with full BIS.

Can I install the same email accounts between the two devices and share the same BBM contacts between the two devices, depending where I am? All my bbm contacts have both of my devices' pins.

I hope I have asked the question correctly,

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Two devices

You definitely can share the email accounts. The BB email service (via BIS) functions like a POP email client...you can have multiple email clients working with the same email accounts. This definitely holds true for general internet facing email accounts (e.g., GMail, Yahoo, etc.), but may not be true for carrier hosted (e.g., @BB or @carrier) email accounts as those are designed as a 1:1 relationship between the email account and the BB, and further that email service is provided by the carrier, to which the "other" BB won't have access since it's operating on a different carrier. So, for no hosted email accounts, just integrate them to both BBs and you should be good to go.

For BBM contacts, though, things are trickier. If you have migrated to the BBM7, then there no longer is the ability to export your BBM contacts (which you would do from both devices, then copy the files from the BBs to a computer, then merge the two lists, then re-import both to each BB)...so I'm not at all sure how you'd accomplish anything non-manual (e.g., creating the contacts directly on each BB) under BBM7. But, for earlier BBM versions, that process I put just there should work fine...you just have to do it every so often to make sure you're keeping the two in sync...there's nothing "automatic" that I know of to help with that.

• KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

What I don't know for sure though, is if the BBM contact list file that is created is "human readable" or not...if not, then what I've proposed for you won't work, and all that will be left is total manual.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.