Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 / OS 5.0.714
My Carrier: T Mobile

Typing letters with numeric touchtone pad

Sorry, subject line may be confusing, but I'm not sure how to describe problem,    How do you convert the letters/ numbers to the old numeric phonepad system:  1 (no letters), 2 (abc), 3 (def), 4 (ghi) and so on.

I called Amex (rather than look it up on the browser; I got the Bold 9700 through work but am not impressed with browser capabilities nor speed, despite 3G icon displaying).The automated system asked me to type in the answer to a security system.  It would not recognize the letters I typed in because they are not on the "numberpad".  I wanted to type in "HAP...".  I typed in the letters, but I believe Amex was looking for <427...>

Lets say a phone number is 777-blue.  I can't type in "blue" because the phone will switch to letters instead of numbers, and the call won't go through.

I called a company once, and using the option to look up an extension by typing the last letters of the last name using the touch tone pad, the system would not recognize my input.  Let's say I am looking for Smith.  If I type "Smi", the automated system won't recognize the input.  It's looking for "764".

I cannot convert letters to numbers that quickly on the top of my head and as I stated, I rather avoid the frustration of the browser (despite being slow, the screen is too small.  I'm stuck with the phone)  There are still plenty of companies that use touch tone numbers/letter equivalents.

I looked in App world and on help menu.  Does anyone have a solution?

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Typing letters with numeric touchtone pad

I just remember what letters are associated to which number on a regular phone and press those number keys on my BB ... not the solution you're looking for, I know, but it does work. 

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 / OS 5.0.714
My Carrier: T Mobile

Re: Typing letters with numeric touchtone pad

I just believe that RIM can easily create a shortcut, like CAPS or number lock, that will change the keyboard so that the letters can mimick the frequency of the numeric keys.  I don't see the alphanumeric keypad disappearing anytime soon.