Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

*URGENT* Blackberry 9900 OTA Update frozen... need to save my data

[ Edited ]

I clicked on the software update utility in options on my BB 9900 yesterday and it informed me that there was a new bundle (cannot remember the exact number) of OS7 available, so I proceeded to download it which took quite a while.

I then scheduled it to update overnight, starting at 2:00AM whilst I was asleep. Well today I have woken up to find it at 26% Overall Backup Progress (currently on Social Feeds at 0%)... it has been like this for nearly 15 hours now with no changes.

I have been on the phone to my network, Vodafone UK and they took remote access of my computer and tried to rerun the update through the desktop software in hope that my data would not be lost... however, as the phone is stuck in the process of OTA updating it cannot be picked up properly by the deskstop software so that option shall not work.

I then downloaded the latest device software via http://uk.blackberry.com/update (clicked the check for updates under web update) and followed the on screen instructions, it once again failed to backup my device as it said it could not connect properly (much alike the desktop software) but it said I could ignore this and load the device sotware onto my device as a clean install.

Of course, this is the solution to my problems, however, a clean install will wipe my device and this simply cannot happen, I cannot lose all my data. I am pretty sure I will be able to reclaim all my contacts, messages etc via Blackberry Protect, but would like some reassurance. However I will not be able to recover the 1000 odd photos I have on my device, family videos etc. and I seriously do not want to lose them.

That's where I need help, surely there is some way I can cancel this OTA update? I even risked pulling the battery but it simply started the OTA update again and got stuck on backing up Social Feeds.

Or is there a way I could force into the device via my PC, as it does show up in Blackberry Device Manager as a connected device "Blackberry: 27F35702" which is promising, however I cannot get into the file system via explorer or the desktop software.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I seriously do not want to lose this data, more importantly memories.

Edit: This is also rather urgent as I am back to work tomorrow, so would be handy to have a working phone, but I could always switch back to my old hanset temporarily if a fix isnt possible that quickly

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Re: *URGENT* Blackberry 9900 OTA Update frozen... need to save my data

just a quick update for those who may also have had the same problem and are looking for some help...

I have fixed it, and currently am searching through my phone to make sure all the data is still there... I pulled the battery and the SIM card and rebooted the phone without a SIM, it then took ages to boot, showed a restoring data progress bar and said that the 'Rollback is successful' and it works... :smileyvery-happy:

Not entirely sure whether this is a recommended or safe way to fix the problem, but it worked for me, and I have everything still on my phone

Won't ever use OTA updates again, that's for sure.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

I have the same problem. I updated the OS 7 to 7.1 and it got stuck during the Backing Up Data (Social Feeds) at 0%... no idea what to do.. pulling the SIM and battery and re-booted didn't work  =(

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: o2

i also tried this and still having same issue
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: 3

same **bleep** is happening to me, its been 3 hours now and social feed = 0% overall 14%

what do i doooooooooooo

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've got the same problem with my BB9900, tried OTA update last night of the official AT&T OS7.1 release.

Version 7.1.0 Bundle 1997
Priority Low
Size: 48.4MB

Started install @ 9 p.m. last night and as of 4 a.m. this morning it was at 52% of overall backup progress on "Social Feeds". Did a battery pull, and it returns the Social Feeds portion of the process and just sits there.  Pulled the SIM card as mentioned here, and it still returns to the same spot.

Hoping one of you found a fix/workaround for this and can update me. 

Thanks

New Developer

I am having the same problem with 9900 att

New Contributor

After more than 16 hours of aggravation, I figured a way around this.  The major problem was the OTA Upgrade program was hanging while backing up Social Feeds.  Once it was started, there was no way to break out of the program.  Even a battery pull didn't work as the program returned to the point where it left off.  I downloaded the full OS7.1 version from AT&T site, launched Desktop Software and rebooted my 9900.  Desktop software prompted me to install the OS update (althought it was stuck on the device already).  I un-checked the backup option and the encryption option and told it to update the device.  It wiped everything and performed the install successfully.  I had to start from scratch, but I got my devive back.

Even put a call into RIM CS and they were no help.  Can't understand why OTA updates are in there, but even RIM CS tells you not to use it when you call them.

Good luck to anyone out there that is battling this problem.