Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
ageddes
My Device: Bold 9790

USB Unreadable in Volvo

[ Edited ]

I have just upgraded from a Pearl 8120 to Bold 9790. Having used an SD card for music successfully in my car  in the pearl phone, I swapped it to the new phone to play my music and now its unreadable??

I have reformatted the card (even though it was fine) and loaded the music again and again but no joy.

Is anybody else having the same problem, would appreciate some help with this.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: USB Unreadable in Volvo

what is the folder where the music files are stored on your device?
they should be located in /BlackBerry/music/ .

by any chance, on the Pearl, did you activate the media card protection? what is the extension of the music files ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
ageddes99
My Device: Perl 8120

The music files are in various mp3, wma format and are all stored in the correct /blackberry/music/ mediasync location

I am able to read the files when I connect my BB to my computer in either my new bold or the old pearl and there is no protection enabled on the media card. I have reformatted the card several times in line with the advice in my Volvo manual and it has made no difference whatsoever.

I can also connect an ipod to the car without a problem so I know that the connection is working properly but something in the connection from the card within the new phone to the USB connection makes it unreadable.

Guru I
Xandrex

with the card in your new BlackBerry phone, from the home scree, enter the Media folder.
open menu, select "Explorer".

Now, navigate to such a folder. Do you see the files ?
what happens when you try to open one?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
ageddes99

Yes I can open them from my new BB and they play just fine

Guru I
Xandrex

okay so if I rephrase :
1) you had some music on your media card, that works on one device and not the other.

2) on the new device, the songs are not seen by the music player, but can be seen with the File Explorer

so all that leads me to simply thing that the media cache is corrupted. You simply have to destroy it, then your BlackBerry will recreate it in a dozen seconds.

There is one cache per folder, for each folder that contains at least one media file.

==> using windows Explorer, configure it to display hidden files and system files
then locate all the files named BBThumbs.dat and delete them.

then on your BlackBerry just enter the music player, and it will populate with all your songs.

New Contributor
ageddes99

Ok great I'll give that a try, lots of .dat files to delete if its one in every folder but thanks!

Guru I
Xandrex

you can do a CTRL-F and do a massive find, including all subfolders.
and delete them all with one click.

New Contributor
ageddes99

Ok tried that, all .DAT files deleted but sadly still no joy
Guru I
Xandrex

you mean the music player on your Pearl has not a single song at all when you open it?