Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Shin_TT
My Device: Bold 9900

Unable to Setup a new email account.

I bought this phone approximately 2 months ago. The dealer claimed the phone was new but upon usgae of the phone everyday, I began to believe otherwise. I have a full 4G internet plan on my phone and when I tried to setup my email for the first time, I was unable to access the option on my phone. Everytime I selected "setup internet mail account" , nothing happened. It was like the option didn't exist. Upon calling my service provider, I was informed that someone had my phone before and had their plan on it and it somehow blocked my ability to setup or change the previous email options and that it can only be accessed if I get the email address of the previous user, which is impossible because I bought it thinking it was new without any previous records. I tried everything! Factory restore etc! Nothing works because the option is somehow disabled. Is it possible to somehow rectify this situation? There must be some history attached to the PIN of this phone... Because its very unfair!
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Unable to Setup a new email account.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Yes...I agree...it is unfair! But, the guilty party is the seller who misrepresented the device to you as "new". Hence, you really should just go back to them for refund/replacement. There are many possible reasons that this problem exists, but typically only the actual account holder who had it before can get it released for your use...the recipient (you) typically cannot convince the carrier to release it, even if you were to be able to discover what carrier to make the request of. It's also possible that the BB is reported as lost or stolen, with the same result as you see.

In any event, I believe your best recourse is back to the seller, who misrepresented the device to you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Shin_TT
My Device: Bold 9900

I can't because I lost contact with the seller. After I confronted them about it being used, we had an arguement and all ties were cut. I didn't buy it from a store but from someone who just had them to sell. I didn't know the person. But I heard there is a way to fix the problem so I'm putting my faith in that route. If not, I'm selling it for whatever dog cheap price I get and buying a new one. But thanks for the concern.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello again,

I've no idea what process you are putting your faith in...it's certainly not here in these forums, as no one here can do anything formal about your situation.

It's a pity that the seller has ceased communication with you...but I do hope you will consider full disclosure when you resell this useless device to some other unsuspecting victim...from what you describe, this device will be of little use, primarily for spare parts to a hardware technician who requires such. But, it never will be able to properly function for any BB services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code