Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
RobRyC
My Device: Bold 9700

Unable to connect to internet - no browser available

Have a Blackberry Bold 9700 which used to be a work phone - and therefore conencted to email and internet etc. Gave to my son for 1st phone and have set-up phone plan with Virgin Mobile. They gave me info for setting up internet but said they dont support Blackberry's etc. so I'd have to set up the hpone myself. Went into settings etc but there is no Browser or Wi-fi options.

My phone plan allows data usage so really just need to be able to connect phone to internet and xi-fi when at home.

Help!!

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Unable to connect to internet - no browser available

If your carrier does not support BlackBerry then you will be restricted to wifi as BlackBerry devices require a special BlackBerry data plan from the carrier.

Look in Options >About and tell me the software version number. It should start with v5... or v6...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
RobRyC

Thanks for replying.

V5...

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Look in Options >Browser (might be in Advanced Settings...I can't remember for sure) and set your default browser to "Hotspot browser."

Unfortunately, you will not be able to set up email or BlackBerry messenger on the device without a BlackBerry Data plan. Also, most apps that require data will not work. If you have the latest version of AppWorld you can use that with wifi and the latest version of Facebook and Twitter will work over wifi.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
RobRyC

Thanks.

Dont have any options for "default browser"...just comes up as Optus Zoo (I think Virgin Mobile is a aprt of the Optus network).

And dont have any wi-fi options (used to when it was on the network at work).

Havent got Appworld either and cant get online to download anything.

Might just have to bite the bullet and buy him a different phone.

Again, thanks for your efforts!!

Guru I
John_Clark

Was this device on a BES server at your company?

If so, I recommend doing a Factory Reset on the device. Here is a link that can help with that. Be sure and make a backup using Desktop Manager first if there is any info on the device you want to save.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB18998