Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
ilsaloving
My Device: Bold 9900

Unable to setup new Bold 9900

Hi all,

I just purchased a new Blackberry Bold 9900 from Wind.  I have to say right off the bat that I have never had this much difficulty setting up any mobile device before, and this includes setting up countless android and ios devices, and even hacking into an old BREW featurephone because I didn't like some of the icons they used.

All I'm trying to do is set up a yahoo email account.  Nothing magical nor mysterious.  What I have done so far:

• Opened the message application, and tried to go to Email Account Management.  Got the error "Unable to open email setup application.  Contact your wireless service provider.".
  • Installed the blackberry desktop software on my mac and updated everything I could possibly update.  The device now has:
    1. Core OS 7.1.0 (7.1 Bundle 2108)
    2. App World 3.1.4.25
    3. Email Setup 72.12.0517.1328
  • Went to http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail/blackberry, and followed the prompts to send me a SMS with a  link to blackberry.com.  I click "Launch Email Setup", and get "Unknown error, please try again".  Really?
  • Try to go to AppWorld.  After an interminably long time watching the Loading screen, I get "BlackBerry App World is having trouble connecting to the BlackBerry App World server.  Verify your network connections and try again."

I currently have the device connected to my Wifi network, and other functions that require connectivity (such as the browser) are working just fine.

At this point I am well beyond frustrated, and am amazed that RIM's stock price hasn't reached penny stock status.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?  Or at least confirm that this really is a cruel joke?

New Contributor
ilsaloving

Re: Unable to setup new Bold 9900

Oh, and despite going so far as to disable all data services so that the phone HAS to go through wifi, apparently applications such as Facebook insist that my service plan doesn't support this connection and that *I should connect to WIFI*. Wow.

I am now doing a full OS reinstall to 7.1-2108 (repair option using blackberry desktop). We'll see how well that goes.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Do you have your data services enabled as well?

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB13368 Services that are available over a Wi-Fi connection

KB14122 Verify connectivity for BlackBerry data services over a Wi-Fi connection

KB17309 Unable to browse the internet over a Wi-Fi connection

For a list of helpful articles and links regarding the BlackBerry Internet Service, visit the Email Setup and Integration section on www.blackberry.com/support.

KB28188 "BlackBerry App World is having trouble connecting to the BlackBerry App World server. Verify your network connections and try again. (Error id: 40820) " error is displayed when opening App World on the BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Yes, most importantly, verify with your carrier that you have the correct blackberry data plan on your account.  Without that, it will not work.

After that, from the device go to blackberry.com/integrate and try to setup your yahoo email.

I have a 100 megabyte data plan with the carrier.  That should be sufficient, as 99% of the data load will be occuring over Wifi. 

Although it looks as if this is a moot point.  7.1-2108 reinstall isn't working.  The installation seems to go fine, but once the phone reboots it comes up with a 507 error.  I've tried installing a previous version (I forget the number... 904 maybe?) and it fails at the very beginng before it even loads onto the device.

I'm trying to install 7.0 now...

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359

Gotcha.  That 100 MB plan may not be the correct plan.  Without the correct blackberry data plan, email witll not work even when using WiFi.  Give the carrier a call and verify that you have the correct blackberry data plan attached to your account.

For error 507:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB02792&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

but you're doing the reinstall now.  See resolution 2.

As irritating as that is, I can understand it, since all email has to route through RIM's servers.  But this shouldn't affect trying to access the App World and other services, correct?

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359

I went to this link posted above: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=88405195886E6DFA804C48577E50C3D7?...
Without the correct data plan those services may not work either. See note at the bottom.

Thank you for all your help!

Installing OS 7.0 seems to work (the device successfully boots).  I am now able to access App World, although I didn't try buying anything.  When I try to go to www.blackberry.com/integrate, I still get the "Unknown Error" after clicking the button to begin the process.

Updating to 7.1 brings back the 507 error.  So I'm now restoring again and will just keep it at 7.0 so that I at least have something that functions.

At this point, I have to say that this has been the single most frustrating mobile device experience I've ever had.  I consider it unacceptable that I must avoid performing upgrades out of fear of bricking the device.  It's flat out embarrassing that a company that supposedly prides itself on reliability puts out such devices that are anything but.

I will be returning this lemon to the store and buying an android instead.  And I really liked the hardware too. :smileysad:

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

I agree with Wolf359. The graph listed in KB13368 is a very good guide to use. As regards your App World error I'll see if can find an article that will explain and help you connect.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter