Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
heraiz
My Device: Bold 9900 - International - Arabic - Unlocked
My Carrier: Etisalat

Unlocked Verizon 9930, Running GSM, BIS Not Working, HELP PLEASE :-(

[ Edited ]
Hi Everyone, currently I'm in Malaysia without blackberry service(been here 8 days), tried everything I know and researched without results to restore the BIS on my 9930, let me give you my details so we can be on the same page about my problem...

I have an Unlocked Verizon 9930 which I have been using in the city of Dubai with the local Mobile company sim card(Etisalat),,,,Its been working in Dubai without a problem from the day I bought it, everything related to BIS works, it was running on BIS local unlimited plan, 3 days before leaving to Malaysia, I activated the BIS international unlimited plan, once the plan landed in Malaysia I turned my phone back on and I had no BIS, I have dealt with my mobile company to resolve the issue and they seem to be unhelpful(they are unfamiliar with the 9930)....so I came here looking for help...

My solution to get BIS working was to get a local Malaysian SIM card, I activated the Malaysian sim card through my LG smart phone, then activated the BIS service the same way(they use here USSD service which is not available on the unlocked 9930, so I had to go through this bypass to get the sim card activated), once I popped in the BIS activated sim card in the 9930, nothing happened, no BIS again............

Registering on the “host routing table” on any of the sim cards also didn’t help....Also the “host routing table” have been empty ever since I have arrived here, the HRT was populated when I was in Dubai...

ver.   7.1.0.342 (1149)

This issue is actually happing on two identical 9930’s (mine and my wife)....My wife 9930 phone BIS did work for a short period over WI-FI ONLY, now BIS stopped working and HRT info has despaired.....

I'm monitoring the forum for answers, if anyone is willing to help me, I'm willing to give you a free call to work out the problem(magic jack call to the USA).......

Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz

Re: Unlocked Verizon 9930, Running GSM, BIS Not Working, HELP PLEASE :-(

I JUST RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE FROM MY CARRIER,

"In reference with your email, we have checked the complain references 7848409 and
7848410 and the feedback we received was that no abnormality found in
terms of your connection."

FROM THEIR SIDE IT ALL LOOKS FINE,,,,FROM MY SIDE I HAVE TWO UNWORKING 9930’S BIS’S

Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz

[ Edited ]

Any 9930 Expert that can answer to my problem? :-),or at least tell me why its not working(bis not working),,,,,,

What I came up with is that unlocked 9930 lacks the USSD option which makes it unusable in Malaysia...To restore USSD I have to lock the phone to the local mobile company spec's, no?

Any Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz

[ Edited ]

I came to the conclusion that all xx30 & xx50 Blackberry's DONT support USSD which is required in countries like Malaysia to be able to activate SIM card, Activate BIS and have an Actual BIS service....

SELF NOTE: make a list of countries that use USSD and bring to these countries a USSD Blackberry...

USSD: Unstructured Supplementary Service Data

Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz

[ Edited ]

IF ANYONE IS STILL FOLLOWING MY CASE, HERE IS AN UPDATE,

-14th of June, I had no BIS service on two 9930's upon landing in Malaysia...One of the 9930's BIS service did work for few days over wi-fi only, then the service went dead.

-27th of June my BIS service is back on one 9930 without me doing anything special, still in Malaysia, the 9930 that is working now is actually the one that didn't work from day one in Malaysia....

My carrier(etisalat) give up a while back and couldn't help me, blaming Malaysian carriers.....

I still don't understand why the service came back on one phone and skipped the other...........

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DDeedee
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Celcom Axiata

Hi there,

I'm currently facing the same problem with my unlocked 9850. The difference is that I was never able to connect to the BIS from my carrier.

Can I know which local telco you were using the BIS from? Because I might need to switch carrier and all the representatives here are very well ill-informed.

Also, were you able to solve this issue at all?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz

Hi DDeedee, I have no idea where you are located?..........My issue was never solved in Malaysia(hotlink & Digi services), upon coming back to my country (UAE) my BB phone 9930 started to work as if nothing ever went wrong.............I now blame the Malaysian carriers for failing me on my trip there, no one was able to truly help, only solution I was offered is to buy a new bb from the Malaysian market that suppose to work on their local network...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DDeedee

Thanks for the reply Heraiz.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am from Malaysia actually. I'm currently with Celcom and it seems to have the BIS issues with CDMA+GSM BBs too. I was thinking of porting to other carriers but since you've mentioned both alternatives, I guess it wouldnt solve the issue I'm facing as well.

Is your carrier in the UAE proviiding GSM based network or CDMA? If its GSM then my guess is that our local providers are just too unknowleadgable and couldnt care less about solving these unique issues.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz

in the UAE, All the carriers provide GSM based network only....After my trip to Malaysia, I went to Germany, my phone BB9930 worked there with zero problems...So that tells me the issue is for sure with Malaysian mobile phone service providers...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DDeedee

Thanks a lot for you feedback then. I guess I'll have to push the telco harder to get my BB registered with their system. Regards.

Please use plain text.