Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
augenmensch
My Device: 9800 & 9930

Used US Sprint 9930 in Europe - unable to activate BIS locally

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

Thanks  for providing this service!

Re my new cell: I wanted to have a 9930, thought this whole international thing is it, since once or twice per year I am in US.

Needless to say the 9930 is unavailable in EU, hence I shopped a used one eBay which stated "clean ESN". That was confirmed by Sprint btw.

The phone works on local GSM networks, which is qualitywise fine - but BIS is impossible to activate.

I tried registering manually via Host Routing Table menu, I tried calling my provider, impossible.

My provider said the device would be in use or activaed elsewhere, hence it can't be activated with them.

I triplechecked with Sprint on various helplines (normal customer service, internatonal service) and the phone is everything: clean, free, no unpaid balances etc., all good.

But they can't look 'into the phone' because it is not active on their network.

Heck, it may never be again!

What can I do to get it activated ?

<Personal Content Removed>

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, rocco

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Used US Sprint 9930 in Europe - unable to activate BIS locally

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It is sadly more complicated than that. Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. And, from quickly looking at the portal for your carrier, it appears that 5B indeed does apply.

So, it could be that what they are telling you is correct -- that some other carrier retains the BB PIN in their BIS system, and until that's released, no other carrier can assign that PIN to their system. It could also be that the BB PIN is reported as lost or stolen. It could also be that, since 5B applies, your carrier system cannot do any of the automatic registration and Service Book delivery steps...

Your best bet may actually be to go back to the seller for help. In many cases, only the actual account owner can request that the carrier release the BB PIN -- and, it may not even be Sprint...it could be others, but you have no way to look at that nor make the inquiry. Your best bet for doing what you desired was to first seek out the compatible models for the carrier you intended to use...then seek out purchasing one that their system supports, for that would make all of this so much easier (unless the PIN is still locked elsewhere, or reported as lost or stolen, that is).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

In short: You don't need a 9930, you need a pure GSM 9900.

Get your money back from the seller. You bought the wrong device.

Yes, BIS should work, but the MEID of the Sprint 9930 is not in your Telefonica network database. You can try to convince them to add it (GSM devices use an IMEI number, similar but not the same.

My advice, get your money back and get a 9900.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
augenmensch

Hi!

Thanks for your effort!

I think 1-4 is checked - the provider had 9930s on his network already (he/they said), they accept foreign phones, same with my 9800 I had from another network too, simply because they didn't sell it.

BIS, dataplan etc. are checked, I am technically eleged to use a BB.

5b is not exactly met though - the pure fact that they had these on their network doesn't necessarily mean it is fully supported by their BIS, well - version ?

Most likely 5b as you say could be the problem.

I read somewhere that service books can not only be priovided, but 'pushed' - is their something like a 'force' option that I could ask my local provider ?

Sprint says from their view everything is clean and good to go, but farther than that they can't help, because the device is not in their network.

Unfortunately, since the device is from the US and I am from EU, even the whole shipping and customs stuff would make it PITA to return.

I am looking for a dedicated answer that says: In our DB, the BIS/BES of that device is locked/hooked/tied/activated to Sprint/you-name-it.

Nobody needs to know personal data, cancel or deactivate anything, I am just looking for an exact answer.

This could/would potentially lie somewhere in RIMs databaes since my providers info points to that.

There must be some code, info, whatnot that gives a better hint to what it really is, no ?

Even if that points to the fact, that this device indeed cannot be activated for -incompatibility, -servicebook, -locked reasons and a return or resale would be the result.

Thanks regardless for pointing out the possibilities.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

augenmensch wrote:

I read somewhere that service books can not only be priovided, but 'pushed' - is their something like a 'force' option that I could ask my local provider ?

Sort of...not by the carrier, but rather it's a matter of

1. Getting your hands on a BB that is fully functioning on the carrier you wish this BB to run on
  2. Extracting the Service Books from that BB
  3. Importing those to your BB
  4. Hoping it actually works

If you want it, I can provide the process...beware...it is quite tedious, detailed, and I've never actually had to do it, so I've no real idea if it succeeds or not. I've provided it to others in the past, but none have come back here to report "it worked"... But, keep in mind that it will be totally moot if the BB PIN remains locked to some other carrier and/or is reported as lost/stolen.

augenmensch wrote:

I am looking for a dedicated answer that says: In our DB, the BIS/BES of that device is locked/hooked/tied/activated to Sprint/you-name-it.

Nobody needs to know personal data, cancel or deactivate anything, I am just looking for an exact answer.

This could/would potentially lie somewhere in RIMs databaes since my providers info points to that.

There must be some code, info, whatnot that gives a better hint to what it really is, no ?

No one here can provide that. We are not RIM. This site is a user-to-user forum, not a user-to/from-RIM channel for any communications whatsoever. So, we're just like you -- users, "out there", who happen to volunteer time here to try and help others out. We have no access to any "behind the scenes" systems by which to actually answer this.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
augenmensch

While I understand what you say, this device has a SIM slot, it also has an IMEI and it is a so called "world phone", which is why I got it. It officially supports CDMA, GSM, UMTS.

It may technically be absolutely correct what you say and a pure 9900 is the only answer, but it doesn't make any sense from a marketing point of view - what the 9930 was intended to be is a phone, able to be used worldwide.

How less sense would it make if that didn't apply to BIS as well ?

But yes, the 9930 is not availabel in EU over the whole place. So, maybe that's it.

Still, I'd be curious if there is any usable info connected to this devices PIN at RIM.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

augenmensch wrote:

While I understand what you say, this device has a SIM slot, it also has an IMEI and it is a so called "world phone", which is why I got it. It officially supports CDMA, GSM, UMTS.

It may technically be absolutely correct what you say and a pure 9900 is the only answer, but it doesn't make any sense from a marketing point of view - what the 9930 was intended to be is a phone, able to be used worldwide.

How less sense would it make if that didn't apply to BIS as well ? 

It would be quite "adventurous" for a carrier to attempt and support each and every model of BB that exists in the world. There are many responsibilities that the carrier takes on (contractually) when they officially support a specific BB model, not the least of which is full support to the end user as well as testing, certification, and release of the OS's for that model. Further, not all BBs can actually work on all networks...it's physically impossible to put, into an acceptable sized device, radios that will work on all carriers. So it's a combination of many factors at play, not simply the marketing angle. And it's all moot in your situation anyway.

Each carriers system will automatically support all model BBs that they configure their system to support. The system you desire to operate this BB on does not automatically support that model BB. That was a choice made by that carrier...not by RIM btw.

augenmensch wrote:

But yes, the 9930 is not availabel in EU over the whole place. So, maybe that's it.

Still, I'd be curious if there is any usable info connected to this devices PIN at RIM. 

Again, no one here has any access to the necessary systems by which to research and answer that question. We're just users...not RIM nor carrier agents.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
augenmensch

Hi!

Thanks again, that is interesting - It sounds indeed special and reminds on jailbreaking my first iPhone: WIll it be bricked or not ?

But since I havent't seen anybody with working service books on the 9930 on my network this probably won't happen.

Re the whole stolen thing, as I wrote: Sprint says the thing is totally fine, no balances open, reported stolen or so - thats what is called "clean ESN" over there.

I want to believe that I am good to go from this side of things...

Whom am I going to ask at RIM to potentially check this ?

Eventually this is Blackberry forum, I hoped they lurk into this from time to time ?

Is there any other support section ?

Thanks again!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

augenmensch wrote:

But since I havent't seen anybody with working service books on the 9930 on my network this probably won't happen.

It does not have to be a 9930...any BB that is fully functioning with all services you need on that carrier network will do.

augenmensch wrote:

Re the whole stolen thing, as I wrote: Sprint says the thing is totally fine, no balances open, reported stolen or so - thats what is called "clean ESN" over there.

I want to believe that I am good to go from this side of things...

Could be true...all I offer are the possible reasons that things could be as they are. I have no way to verify.

augenmensch wrote:

Whom am I going to ask at RIM to potentially check this ?

No one...well, not for free. Another complication of the BB support model is that RIM provides zero front line support for anything at all (not even warranty, btw). There is no method to bypass your formal (and, btw, contractually required) support channels...only they can escalate (for free) issues up to RIM that need to be.

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

augenmensch wrote:

Eventually this is Blackberry forum, I hoped they lurk into this from time to time ?

They do lurk...but one should never expect any help from a RIM person. If one receives it, that is special indeed...but never to be expected. The carriers (and others) hold the contractual responsibility for support...bypassing that to RIM means that, in effect, RIM would be doing something for free (hence the fee-based Incident Support model above).

augenmensch wrote:

Is there any other support section ?

Nope. Well, there are other sites on the Internet, but none are formal RIM support, because that is contractually forbidden.

You are in a very special situation, and the normal formal support model is not really geared toward something so special. Hence, persistence on your part within that contractually required support structure is your best bet, if you want truly to get that answer you seek. Or, you can believe what Sprint said and attempt the SB export/import process that I've offered.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh...and to add...take careful heed of the advice from JSanders above. Simplified, there are two steps required to use a BB for all BIS-level services:

• Registering the BB on the carrier network
  • Receiving the Service Books to the BB, which actually enables the subscribed-to services

If step 1 cannot happen, then step 2 is moot...and the procedure I can give you only covers step 2...the carrier must accomplish step 1.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates