Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9930

Using an old blackberry - no data service. GPS works, WIFI is connected but not working

Well the company switched to iPhone, and i have this blackberry which has no service.  In the past I have enjoyed using it for GPS tracking while backpacking etc.  I think it will still work great for that, except I can't download new maps.   I have confirmed the GPS works.  WIFI says it's connected but I can't get internet or any data in any app that I can tell.  In another discussion on this site a fix was recommended which seems to depend on my registering the wifi service with the service provider, which I have none.

Any suggestions to get the wifi going on this device?  i had thought it was working prior to losing cell service but I can't be sure.

Thank you,

John

New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour

Re: Using an old blackberry - no data service. GPS works, WIFI is connected but not working

New Contributor

Re: Using an old blackberry - no data service. GPS works, WIFI is connected but not working

The menus on my phone are updated from the ones you described, but I followed along OK.  However, when I got to the restore step, it did not allow me to select the service book.  It said, "dimmed entries are read-only data types and cannot be restored."

Dead end?

New Contributor

Did you manage to enter Legacy Service Book Restore Mode?

New Contributor

OK - I tried again.  The first time my phone rebooted randomly in the middle of the process so that's why I couldn't restore .  Now I was able to complete the procedure as you outlined.  I am still not connecting - I am getting the error "Unable to find the requested server" in the browser when I try to connect to Google.  I can't remember what the error was previously, but this is different, anyway.  Perhaps we are on the right track.

New Contributor

Set Browser to "Hotspot Browser" in Browser Options.

New Contributor

I'm not sure how the hotspot would help, since I can't connect to the outside.  What am I missing?

Meanwhile, I'm about to give up, but in case you or someone can glean something from this, here is the output from a diagnostic I found.

Wi-Fi Diagnostics (Advanced): Jul 10, 2013 22:35:04 PM

Wi-Fi

Current Profile: BoyackNet

SSID: BoyackNet

AP MAC Address: 98:FC:11:55:5A:BB

Security Type: WPA2 Personal

Association: Successful

Authentication: Successful

Local IP Address: 192.168.1.112

Signal Level: -66 dBm

Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps

Authentication Failure Reason: 

Network Type: 802.11b/g

Network Channel: 6

Pairwise Cipher: CCMP

Group Cipher: TKIP

Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1

DHCP: Successful

Primary DNS: 165.193.49.62                

Secondary DNS: 174.78.110.62

DNS suffix:  minetfiber.net

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Server Domain Suffix: 

Certificate:  

Software Token: 

Hotspot Code:  

Hotspot Message:  

Hotspot Status:  Not Applicable

VPN

Current Profile: 

Concentrator Address: 

Authentication: N/A

Secure Device IP:  

Resolving Concentrator: N/A

Concentrator IP: 

Primary DNS: 

Secondary DNS: 

DNS Suffix: 

Secure Subnet Mask: 

Retry at: 

Session Lifetime: 

Re-login at: 

Failed Login Attempts: 0

Certificate: 

Software Token: 

BlackBerry Infrastructure

Address Used: //216.9.242.57:443

IP Used: 216.9.242.57:443;50208

Connecting: Successful

Authenticating router: Successful

Authenticating server: Successful

Last Contact at: Jul 10, 2013 10:34 PM

Certificate status: Ok

Enterprise

UIDs: 

Address Used: //WCBES.WC.Corp.com:4101

IP Used: 

Connecting: Error

Authenticating router: N/A

Authenticating server: N/A

Last Contact at:

New Contributor

You must select "Hotspot Browser" in the dropdown menu of Browser Cofiguration.    This setting directs the Browser to utilize WIFI connection as opposed to WAN.