Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mcambrose
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Using the Wi-fi- Basics

I am a newbie to the BB bold and internet browsing via phone. Can I use the wi-fi with the browser without having the 3G service activated? In other words I want to use wi-fi for browsing internet, but not use for the paid internet service? I have connected to my router via wi-fi, but when I click the browser it says I am not in an area where that service is available. I thought it would look to the wi-fi if available. I'm sorry this may be a very stupid question. Thanks for any help.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Using the Wi-fi- Basics

Please confirm whether you're following below steps -

Step # 1

1.      Turn on Wi-Fi

2.      click Set Up Wi-Fi Network

3.     Next

4.     Scan for Networks

5.      select the available network

6.      If the authentication is required then you'll be prompted to enter the (WEP) Key as provided by hotel/airport/hotspot authority

7.     Connect

Step # 2

1.     Options

2.     Advanced Options

3.     Browser

4.      Default Browser Configuration: Hotspot Browser

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
mcambrose

You were absolutely correct. I had connected to wi-fi, but the browser being used was the incorrect one. The internet browser was being used rather than the hot spot browser. Thank you very much for the needed solution. AT&T should have been able to tell me that simple solution. Shame on them.
Visitor
Gladys

hi there,

i've the similar problem with my wireless both at home and at wifi hotspots. it shows im connected to my home wireless but when i open the browser, it says: 'Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact your service provider.' anyone can advise me? 

New Contributor
IgorOzz

Well, can you successfully connect to your wifi network? I'm asking 'cos I got some issues when connecting to my wifi network. I had to lower the router security to WPA and unhide it, then, I could properly connect my BB Bold and finally change back to WPA2 with no broadcasting.

I can use everything with no 3G/EDGE service... BB Browser, Opera, Gmail, wheather forecast... everthing working fine.

Contributor
Paka_Mille
My Device: Curve 9360

I'm using BB 9360 and I want to use Wi-Fi to use browser and opera mini, even when I'm connected to the WI-FI it does not work.
Contributor
Paka_Mille
My Device: Curve 9360

I'm using BB 9360 and I want to use Wi-Fi to use browser and opera mini, even when I'm connected to the WI-FI it does not work