Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Using wifi instead of internet thru your carrier?

hi i recently bought a blackberry 9000  bold and i have a service plan that does not include the internet. is there a way i can just use my wifi internet and have the carrier internet off so i wont have an option to use the carrier internet so i dont get charged?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Using wifi instead of internet thru your carrier?

If you are connected to a wifi network, you should be using that instead of your wireless network

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Options > Advanced > Browser, = Hotspot browser, can be used on WiFi without a data plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold

Jsanders all your post replies have helped me out so much so would just like to say thanks for that firstly (',)

Secondly, ive never had a bb before so i am a complete newbie as to how it works, hence why im on this forum reading up, my question is. .

I have set up my bb service so i can use messenger etc but i havent set up a unlimited data plan as im not online that much on my phone so i opted to just use my wifi connection instead to use whenever. And on the middle of my bold it says the wifi name of who im connected to, in the top right hand corner it says wifi in back and white and just above it it changes from gprs to 3g (not sure why) but does this mean when im surfing its using my wifi connection and im not getting charged extra through my network provider?

Is there a way to know? 

I have also done what you said Options > Advanced > Browser, = Hotspot browser. .

But just wanted to be sure, ive done everything right and im not being charged?

Thank u for your help in advance x 

I have never owned a blackberry device, so i am a complete newbie to using my Bold, so please bare with me when asking for advice as i may ask for help with the littlest things ('',)

Thanks in advance xx