Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
MCope
My Device: Not Specified

Version vs. Platform

I posted this question on Crackberry but the Crack People apparently can't answer the question.  So perhaps someone on this list can give a good explanation.  It would be appreciated not only by me but I am sure others are curious since all of the updates posted can be a little bit confusing depending on who is posting.

As I understand it, the Version relates to applications. So how does platform come into play?

My phone is ATT: v4.6.0..167 (Platform 4.0.0.217)

So what is the difference between what I have and this one if the applications are the same but the Platform is different?
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.298 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.298
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.6.0.167
* Software Platform: 4.0.0.157
* File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel298_PL4.0.0.157_A4.6.0.167_AT&T. exe
* File size: 93.32MB
Thanks,
Mike Cope
Forums Advisor III
er2joe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

Re: Version vs. Platform

Just a guess: The Applications is for the built-in applications - messaging, SMS, etc. The Platform is for the Base OS.

Contributor
MCope

While the application stays the same, the platform appears or has changed.  However, you can download the latest platform with the same application version and the update won't take place because the applications are the same.

So now I am wondering what is the point in coming out with a higher platform and keeping the applications on the same version.

My other question is why won't the desktop update to the new platform?

Now if the platform has fixes for other things not related to the applications, you would think it would allow you to do the update.

Some things just don't make sense?

Hey I appreciate you response.  I know there are several listers that pride themselves in knowing all about the blackberry's.  I figured it was a simple question and could be explained in a manner which all other listers could understand.

I have looked at both the Crack heads and Berry forum threads where people have asked questions about this and never really got an answer.  So I figure WTH I will post and maybe antagonize someone to come forward with the info. LOL :smileyhappy:

Forums Advisor III
er2joe

I think I'm missing something. You say that you have Platform 4.0.0.217, and you want to "upgrade" to 4.0.0.157?
Contributor
MCope

Ok I don't know if my reply posted or not so here goes again.

My phone is currently at this level: v4.6.0.167 (Platform 4.0.0.217)

Not realizing my error in the copy and paste also I see what your referring to.  What I wanted you to see was as follows:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.438 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.438
Consisting of:
  • Applications: 4.6.0.167
  • Software Platform: 4.0.0.217
  • File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel438_PL4.0.0.217_A4.6.0.167_AT_amp_T.exe
  • File size: 93.32MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

So starring at this again and what I really was looking at is the Package Version .438.

Yes my phone already has the App .167 and the Platform .217.  Looking at that, there should not be a difference.  So now my question sholud have been, Is the Package Version most important or the App and or Softare Platform?"

Does that better explain my questioning?

PS: I am using IE8 and the html is kicking it back.  Geez what a pain. :smileyhappy:

Mike 

Forums Advisor III
er2joe

Who knows for sure, but I would think that the package number will change every time at least one of the other changes (if the Applications change, but not the Platform, the package would change, and vice-versa).

But, looking on my Bold, the only place I could find the package number (I *think* it is the package number) is on the "Help" page you get when you hit Alt-Shift-H on the home screen. In Options, About, and Options, Status, I could not see the package number.

I am pretty sure the latest version for AT&T (US) is package 508, Platform 4.6.0.243 and Applications 4.6.0.297, so you probably need to upgrade no matter which number you count as the most important.

Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42
My Device: 8300

HI,

I dont know the difference but I know how to get the latest version onto the HH.

Start Application loader.

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe

Click through the various options BUT...

BEFORE clicking finish, click Advanced.

Select to wipe all exoisting applications and application data.

Click through the other options and now the Apploader  will put THAT verison that you have installled on the HH.

PS: You might want to uninstall all the OS versions you have and ONLY install the one that your trying to get to the HH!.

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Macacho
My Device: Blackberry curve 9300

Software Platform and Applications version number

Hi, I would like to know if it is posible to find out what my Software Platform and Applications version number is with out turning my phone on

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Software Platform and Applications version number

[ Edited ]

Macacho wrote:

Hi, I would like to know if it is posible to find out what my Software Platform and Applications version number is with out turning my phone on

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The only way would be IF you had (in the past), using the PC-based Desktop Software along with a specific OS package, forced the installation to your BB of that specific OS package. In that condition, you can look (on your PC) at the filename of the OS package you used...with the "PL" item being the Platform and the "A" item being the Applications level (which is the item that is used to identify the actual OS level). Otherwise, the information is in no way visible on your BB without it being powered up.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
rizwanmc
My Device: Blackberry 9700

Software/App Version - Indicates the version of your applications (Address book, browser, calendar, also WiFi config wizard, etc.)
Platform/OS Version - Indicates your version of system software (Java base/core software, radio codes, etc.)