Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: TELUS

Voice Notes - Default 5 Minutes recording

How can the length of a voice recording be lengthened and what is the maximum time allowed?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Voice Notes - Default 5 Minutes recording

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Here is a KB that discusses that error:

• KB21337 Maximum recording length in the Voice Notes application

Hopefully it contains something useful! 

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Sprint

This link does not work, please share how to increase time of recording.
Hall of Famer II

It doesn't? I click it and it brings up the KB article...strange...maybe something wrong with your internet connection? Anyway, I'll cut/paste it here for you then...the formatting is likely messed up, but the words should all be there.

CollapseEnvironment

• BlackBerry® smartphones
CollapseOverview

Voice note recording using a media card

Voice notes that are recorded to a media card are limited to a maximum of 60 minutes. Upon reaching 60 minutes, the the Voice Notes application saves the file and automatically starts recording another voice note.

Voice note recording using internal media memory

Voice notes that are recorded to a BlackBerry® smartphone with internal media memory are limited to a maximum of 5 minutes. Upon reaching the maximum time limit for recording, the Voice Notes application stops recording and does not start recording a new voice note.

Voice note recording using on-board device memory

Voice notes that are recorded to a BlackBerry smartphone with only on-board memory are limited to a maximum of 90 seconds. Upon reaching the maximum time limit for recording, the Voice Notes application stops recording and does not start recording a new voice note.

CollapseAdditional Information

If the BlackBerry smartphone is security locked while recording a voice note, the recording pauses and then is resumed when the BlackBerry smartphone is unlocked.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi

it stores notes in below path

/device/home/user/voicenotes

Please share it is

media card or   internal media memory or  on-board device memory. When I attach my blackberry to computer it shows there are 6 GB of space available then why it is limiting to 5 Minutes only ?

Please help.

Hall of Famer II

That location is internal media memory...hence, the 5 minute limitation as per the KB information provided above. To have longer (and auto-start a new file at the end of the 60 min max time), you need to direct the Voice Notes app to store on a Media Card.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

How to direct the Voice Notes app to store on a Media Card ? Whats the step ?

Hall of Famer II

That's an excellent question! And dependent on your specific BB model and OS level...what are yours please?

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi sdgardne, I have the same problem with Voice Notes. I've been using a Curve 8820, which only allowed me to record 60 sec voice notes, and now a Bold 9000, which only allowed me to record 2 min voice notes. It's so absurd that I couldn't find out how to configurate it to achieve unlimited record length.

I'd be so grateful if you could advise on how to re-direct Voice Notes to media card.

Thank you.

Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

zhangspievolgen wrote:

Hi sdgardne, I have the same problem with Voice Notes. I've been using a Curve 8820, which only allowed me to record 60 sec voice notes, and now a Bold 9000, which only allowed me to record 2 min voice notes. It's so absurd that I couldn't find out how to configurate it to achieve unlimited record length.

I'd be so grateful if you could advise on how to re-direct Voice Notes to media card.

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As was answered in the post just above yours (post 8), the answer depends on both your BB model number and OS level...please refer back to post 8 and provide that information.

Also refer please to the link provided in post 2 above...your desire for "unlimited" cannot be attained.

Thanks and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates