Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: non-US

Water damage + Battery won't charge

[ Edited ]

My one-month-old Bold 9700 was dropped in the water yesterday and was completely soaked for a few seconds (not splashed but completely submerged..). it was an accident in the middle of the party and everyone was completely drunk including myself -_- i knew I took it out immediately but cannot remember whether I turned it off right away or it turned itself off. I tried my best to bring myself together and dried it with paper towel but that was it... (I know... it;s really stupid... but we weren't really conscious)

I woke up early and realized my phone was in the water and I never removed the battery (freeeeaking out). I tried turning it on once, red LED turned on but with a little blinking. the screen was also on very briefly before it went off completely. I took the battery out, blow dried everything for a very long time, then put the phone in a container with rice in there to get rid of any moisture.

After that I took it to a local repair shop today and luckily they were able to fix it (took everything apart, dried and clean, even had some parts replaced i think but not sure) and it appeared to be working fine. thank god. the problem now is that the battery doesn't seem to charge! first the shop said it's fine but the battery is very drained so i have to go home and charge it before i can turn on. i actually tried turning it on at the store (with charger hooked to it) and it was working so i didn't worry much i just came home. Now I'm home looking at my 9700 not charging and keeps saying the battery is too low for radio use. the battery logo appears red with the charging sign and everything. so it all seem normal except for the fact that as soon as I unplug the charger my phone will shut down immediately. Looks like it's probably charging, but it doesn't wanna hold any power...!

I hooked it up to my computer and backed up everything (it's working fine as long as i have a charger connected to it..)

Is this a battery or phone problem? I don't have another battery to replace and see if it works.... any thoughts ??? ... i'm bringing it back to the store tomorrow. Just posting to check if anyone has experienced this...

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Water damage + Battery won't charge

oonggy wrote:

Is this a battery or phone problem? I don't have another battery to replace and see if it works.... any thoughts ??? ... i'm bringing it back to the store tomorrow. Just posting to check if anyone has experienced this...

Don't know, the new battery should tell, when you get it.

Good luck. You're lucky it works at all after all the powering on while while.

Hope it works for you.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Jeroen

I'm afraid it will not gonna work again. My curve got wet in the rain - same thing - no charging anymore - all other functions ok once hooked. Bought a new original battery (95 SinDollars pffhhh), but same thing. It,s a phone problem. Sorry mate -

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Jeroen wrote:

I'm afraid it will not gonna work again. My curve got wet in the rain - same thing - no charging anymore - all other functions ok once hooked. Bought a new original battery (95 SinDollars pffhhh), but same thing. It,s a phone problem. Sorry mate -

I wouldn't be so quick to pronouce it dead. I've saved 5-6 from moisture damage.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: t mobile

It also happened to me yesterday. The phone is working fine when I connect it to my pc. When I remove the usb cable it turns off and error jvm 545 pops up. Then I do a master reset and then reloading the OS,.Working fine and then the same thing happen again.

Just bought it and loved it Smiley Happy

Keep us posted