Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: 02
Accepted Solution

White Screen of Death

My Blackberry Bold 9700 had the white screen of death and would try to restart itself but whilst loading would fail and then repeat this, I then backed it up using the Blackberry Desktop Software and tried to do the system reset using this.....

1. Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device.  Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore.  On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data.  Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder).  Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file.  In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.  Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).
  3. After the device configuration has been retrieved, you will be on the Device Application Selection page.  You may scroll through the list to ensure all the applications you want are selected.  You can also de-select any applications you don't use to save space.  Click Next.
  4. On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.
  5. Proceed with the OS reinstall.  Note that this process may take 10-30 minutes (usually ~10 minutes).  Do not disconnect the device.
  6. Once the process is complete, re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  Select Backup and Restore and open the Restore application.  Select the file to restore (Backup-(Year-Month-Day).ipd) and click open.  Follow the steps to restore your device.
  7. Re-enable your device connection by going to Manage Connections and turn on your Mobile Network.  Re-download any missing applications and re-connect to any BlueTooth devices and you're done.

However, the reset failed at step 4 and I was unable to re-connect the phone to Blackberry Desktop and now, the phone tries to start but crashes when showing the blackberry first ever startup.

Please HELP

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: White Screen of Death

force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144

I tried that, and reinstalled the software, however, the phone then restarted itself and yet again cannot progress past the initial blackberry loading screen.

Please help

Forums Veteran III

We can try some more stuff.

Safe mode.

Do a battery pull, insert battery and when the red ligh goes off, hold down the back button through the entire boot process.  let us know if this works.  if not, then I wonder if the device software installed on your pc has a problem.

Can you uninstall that and try reinstalling from

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Also method 3 listed at

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14202

is another way to wipe the phone, but would like you to reinstall the device software to your computer first.

So far I've tried both the first and second, both with no luck.
Trying the safe mode caused the phone to crash at an even sooner time than without trying safe mode.
And the second, means that occasionally the phone will reach the end of the "Love what you do" video and then will just crash and start to reboot itself, I noticed that 3 white dots were in the top left of the screen whilst starting up... not sure if it helps.

I have recently had signal issues in which the best I was getting was GSM... where I normally have at least GPRS, sometimes it would switch to GPRS but then switch back to GSM, and I updated the facebook app last night and then today the white screen, crashing and restarting started... not sure if these issues are linked at all.

My phone is on a constant loop of crashing and restarting which I can't stop.

I will now try method 3.

Please help more if you can, thanks for all suggestions so far.
New Contributor

Not sure how to do method 3, so unable to try it.
Thanks
New Contributor

In your opinion, do you think this sounds like a software issue or hardware, as I have seen that other people have had white screen due to the ribbon cable for the LCD?

Forums Veteran III

It could be either at this point.  I'm leaning more towards the software side.  Can you take the device to the store and have them reload the software?  If it gives them problems, then the hardware could be at fault.

I'm going to claim off the insurance as , the phone is outside of the 12 month warranty, if they ever say what the issue was I shall let you know.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions, until mine is fixed I'll make do with my sister's old 9700 :smileyhappy:

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: t-mobile

Hi i had the same problem whith my Curve 8520

all i had to do was buy a new battery and that white screen of death DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!