Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

White screen problem on 9780 - my last BB

Apologies but this is more a complaint than a technical fault - just there seems to be no official route to register a complaint with RIM or Blackberry UK.

My BB 9790 has just fallen victim to the white screen problem after 15 months of use. One minute it worked fine, the next just a white screen. Searches on this forum and on Google say this is 99% certain due to a bad connection in the ribbon cable that connects to the screen (and at first it could be coaxed back to life for qa few minutes by pressing the bottom right hand corner and the 'p' key).

Sent it back via O2 to Regenersis, which seems to act as the service centre for BB in the UK, expecting it to be fixed under warranty but they say its not a manufacturing fault. No idea how they work that out because the phone shows no sign of any damage, has never been dropped or mishandled and has been kept away from water. Anyway, have to shell out £90 for a new screen (or £50 if I get it back and take it to a local repair shop). Not too happy.

Now we all know electronic items are not going to be100% reliable, so don't expect operation to be fault-free but I do expect manufacturers to take responsibility for their product design. In this case BB hasn't so I'll be doing the sensible thing when my contract runs out and switching to Apple or Android - maybe even Windows! Shame really, because BB10 looks pretty good but I'm a bit old fashioned and I don't expect to have to pay out to keep a phone running before the contract ends.

Interested in hearing how any other 9780 users got on with this problem - was it covered under warranty?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AIS Thailand

Re: White screen problem on 9780 - my last BB

honesty, what do you use anyway? The 9790 and the 9780 are both totally different phones.
"Interested in hearing how any other 9780 users got on with this problem"
My BB 9790 has just fallen victim to the white screen"
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hardwriter wrote:

Apologies but this is more a complaint than a technical fault - just there seems to be no official route to register a complaint with RIM or Blackberry UK.

You can contact the Berkshire office in the UK:

http://www.rim.com/company/contact/

hardwriter wrote:

Sent it back via O2 to Regenersis, which seems to act as the service centre for BB in the UK, expecting it to be fixed under warranty but they say its not a manufacturing fault.

If I were you I would simply contest that conclusion. Either it is:

• a manufacturing fault
  • a usage outside the boundaries of correct use of the device (ie drop it in water or make it fall from the roof of a building)
  • another defect

and apart the second possibility, 02 is supposed somehow to do something directly or indirectly.

hardwriter wrote:

I do expect manufacturers to take responsibility for their product design. In this case BB hasn't so I'll be doing the sensible thing when my contract runs out and switching to Apple or Android - maybe even Windows!

Firstly, as far as I understand things, your expectations will never be met, we are in the XXIth century.
This is not product design (other wise it would concern all 9780) (the grip of death on the iPhone 4 is a product design failure for instance), here you have a faulty device, that must be replaced by O2, not RIM.
if you buy a CD, and the CD does not work, you do not go to Warner or Sony Music. You go to your store and demand a correction.

Secondly, if you had bought at O2 an iPhone or a Windows Phone device, or even an Android phone things would not be different. On the other hand, shifting to another carrier with better customer care can be a solution.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

Thanks for the response. HSingh2012 spotted the typo in OP - it is in fact a 9780 phone not a 9790.

Comes down to a difference of opinion between O2 and me - I say I have not dropped it and the say I have. O2 eventually supplied a new phone but charged me the repair fee.

Xandrex - I note the point about product design, but I have had problems with keyboard interconnects on previous BB phones within first 12 months. Seems to be a weakness in BB assembly. The fact that not every phone suffers the problem does not mean there is not a design problem.