Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
pewis
My Device: Curve 9300

White stripes on the left side of my screen

Recently i bought a BB Bold 9700 and it was working just fine until one day a white stripe appeared on the left side of my screen. This didnt bother me so much. A couple of days later another stripe appeared; this was when i started to be worried. I looked for a solution online and i tried pressing on it and then clicking the "p" key, i've tried pulling the battery, and i've tried simply resetting it. I have never dropped this phone or gotten it wet. I did get a private screen for it and the stripe appeared after i got it so that might have something to do with it. Now there are 2 stripes most of the time but sometimes it switches to 1. This is very annoying. If you have a possible soluton or a reccommendation please leave a comment.

Kindest regards,

Pewis

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: White stripes on the left side of my screen

Hello...and apologies for the delay. Hopefully you already have this sorted, but just in case...

I'm not at all sure what a "private screen" is, but have you removed that to see if the problem clears up? If that is causing the problem, then removing the cause should clear up the problem. That is, of course, unless it has permanently damaged the screen...in which case your situation will become more difficult.

You also should seek formal hardware support under the terms of your warranty. That could be your original place of purchase, your authorized service center, or your mobile service provider...it varies greatly by region, so I can't be any more specific than that. But, when you purchased, you should have received documentation as to what your specific warranty is and exactly how to exercise it. Beware though...if that "private screen" indeed caused damage, your warranty may well be void.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pewis

A private screen is like a screen protector but you can't see what I'm doing unless you are looking straight at the phone. I already tried the warranty ans they said that it was too late because my warranty only lasted 14 days. Now my sceen has become even worse. It isnow a completely different color. Right now it is red. I think my display is busted but I think this isn't anything that I can't get fixed. I'm done with blackberrys. But thanks anyway :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh!!! Privacy Screen! Now that makes more sense indeed!

Only a 14 day warranty? That is a pity...RIM provides, to the original end user (when purchased new, through authorized resellers), a 1-year warranty. However, the reseller can adjust that, and it sounds as if yours did. Either that or they sold you a not-new device...such happens all the time as well, and in such a case any warranty is generous on the sellers part (most who sell used devices offer them only as-is, no warranty, and all too often the device was not in perfect condition when sold to that unsuspecting purchaser).

It is a shame that you are letting this one experience taint your entire judgement of BBs. Every device, designed and built by humans, is subject to a defect rate greater than zero. If your device was indeed brand new, then the seller you bought from must not be reputable since they should have passed through the standard 1-year warranty. On the other hand, if you bought a used device, then "buyer beware" would naturally have applied.

In any event, good luck to you!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pewis

I used to really like BB's and im sure this wouldnt happen with any of the new one's but it just really makes me mad that a phone would break down when I have never done anything that could damage it. The only reason that i bought the BB was because it has qwerty keyboards which are going to be extinct soon. This is my 2nd BB that gets damaged without me doing anything to it, which is a shame because I seem to be the only person who has that happen to them. And btw, my phone was new and I have no idea why it was only a 14-day warranty. Anyway, thank you for your help :smileyhappy: it was really helpful. The main reason that I am going to sell it is because here i can sell it for about 250-300 bucks once i fix it and that is enough for an iphone 4 which is very reliable. Again, thank you for the help :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...and the best of luck to you!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.