Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
GTwinkie
My Device: Not Specified

Why Is BIS Service So Limited in Functionality? (vs. iPhone)

Hello guys!

I recently left my job where we were using BES with our Blackberries and, of course, the service was outstanding; like having my laptop in the palm of my hands.

To replace my Blackberry, I decided to try out an iPhone and hated it.  Gave it a full 3 1/2 weeks to see if I could learn to like it, but nothing compares to the convenience, speed, and stability of a Blackberry, so I turned it in and picked up a new Blackberry Bold.  I thought to myself, "Ah, back to Blackberry Bliss!"

However, after setting up my BIS account to access my GMail and then digging through countless forums and websites trying to figure out why I didn't have folders or why read/unread messages weren't syncing with the server or why sent messages was coming to my Inbox, I realized that that's just how the BIS service works.  I was so disappointed.

For anyone that has used an iPhone with GMail, you know how seamlessly the two interface with one another - labels show up as folders and all changes that occur on the phone are reflected on the server (and my Apple Mail client on my iMac at home) and vice versa.  I can file as I please, Sent Mail goes to my Sent folder/label and all is wonderful.

So imagine my shock when I turned to what I thought was the trusty Blackberry, only to be sorely disappointed to find out that the BIS service (even when configured with IMAP) didn't support folders or bi-directional syncing.  There isn't even folder support in my Hotmail BIS account either.  Not to mention, it didn't download any of my old email.  Thank God for the GMail BB app to supplement the BIS inboxes, but even that has some frustrating limitations.

Did RIM purposely block some of this functionality to encourage people to use BES?  Or is there some profound technical challenges that prevent RIM from providing this [seemingly] simple functionality that we're just unaware of?  Or is Apple just that far ahead of the game when it comes to developing a fully-compatible email client (though, the lack of cut and paste and search functionality indicate otherwise and still boggle my mind)?

And don't get me started on the complete and utter lack of support for Mac syncing.  Though, from what I've read, us Mac users have a Desktop Manager type software to look forward to in the New Year, but still a bit late don't you think?

I'm surprised I've never heard these complaints from friends who are "casual" Blackberry users - or perhaps they're all lucky enough to be on BES with their work?

At the end of the day, I love my new Bold - it's an impressive device and its simplicity and convenience are still unparalleled, but c'mon RIM, if you want to recapture your Smartphone market share, you best step up your game for the average consumer.

New Contributor
GTwinkie

Re: Why Is BIS Service So Limited in Functionality? (vs. iPhone)

No thoughts on this?
Regular Contributor
pyrex

"However, after setting up my BIS account to access my GMail and then digging through countless forums and websites trying to figure out why I didn't have folders or why read/unread messages weren't syncing with the server or why sent messages was coming to my Inbox, I realized that that's just how the BIS service works.  I was so disappointed."

I only get to reply at owl hours. :smileyhappy:

1.) Go to one of your mail inboxes(gmail for this example). Menu->Options->Email Reconciliation->Delete On->"Mailbox and Handheld"

2.) Set Wireless Reconcile to "On" on the same page then "Save" your changes.

That should allow you to atleast delete from you mailbox & gmail simultenously.

Obviously you have not folders thats why the gmail bb app works so well. :smileyhappy:

Also set a filter in your gmail to delete the sent mail on send.

trojan1909

It is honestly ridiculous how limited BIS is compared to the iPhone.  I recently switched from the iPhone 3G to the Bold, and while I can say the Bold is snappier and more reliable, its hard to believe that the supposed "leader" in email functionality only has 1-way reconciliation, among other drawbacks.

RIM needs to get with the picture here.  Apple figured it out on their first try, the leader in email has to catch up.