Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Wi-Fi problems: "Unable to turn Wi-Fi on"

Hi folks,

I've had my Bold for about a week and a half and up until today, the Wi-Fi feature was working really well.  Now, the Wi-Fi icon no longer appears in the status bar when I turn on the phone and when I try to launch the Wi-Fi setup app, I get an error message that says "Unable to turn Wi-Fi on".

Anybody come across this?  I tried removing the battery and rebooting but without any success.  I can only think of 2 scenarios:  1)  The wi-fi chip has imploded or 2) Rogers (my carrier) has disabled wi-fi remotely.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thx,

g

Developer
My Device: You wish.

Re: Wi-Fi problems: "Unable to turn Wi-Fi on"

Or 3. You are on a BlackBerry Server and someone his disabled WiFi for all users on the server? Just a shot in the dark...?
New Contributor

I'm not on a corporate BES so it couldn't have been that.  I guess I'll have to give Rogers and/or RIM a call to see if they've got any ideas.
New Contributor

Hi first time poster.  I've had by Bold from Rogers for 2 weeks and ran into the same issue.  I upgraded to .162 and this fixed it and other bugs.  Hope this helps.

New Contributor

Thanks for the help bill.  I'm running .162 as well but I re-downloaded it and did a "repair" install to see if that would help.  At first, it didn't seem to because I still couldn't get the wi-fi radio to turn on.  That was early this morning so I drove to work and went to ask another guy at the office if he'd ever seen anything like it (he's owned a BB for a while now) and lo and behold, the wi-fi radio had come back on all on its own and we were able to scan for networks again.

Very strange.  I guess my problem is solved... for now - knock on wood.  I'll repost if I run into any more issues.

Thanks again for the help.

New Contributor

I have had my Bold a couple of weeks. Some days wi-fi will turn on right away and connect automatically and other days it will not turn on at all. I have no idea why. I am sitting is the same chair near my wireless router so it is not signal strength.

I am running v4.6.0.167 on my device.

Jim

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Try making a simple restart, take out the battery for 30 seconds, and put again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.

I had same problems, I just did a 1 minute reboot (remove the battery for 1 minute) then I had to enable the wi-fi in the settings and worked fine.  Had to do it 2 times already. Not sure what causes this.