Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Angelicbeauty
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Wi-fi will not turn on....please help!!

My wifi on my bb bold 9000 had been working fine in the past. I remember using it 2 weeks ago, to listen to Pandora (in which I downloaded 3 months ago, and the last app that I dl was 2 months ago), however 2 days ago, I noticed that it wasn't on. I looked through many forms and websites and still, I couldn't get it a resolution. I have done the battery pull for 30 second and sometimes 1-5 min, I have wiped my ph, reset my wifi router, as well as manually try to set up a connection. Each time my ph tells me "unable to connect to wifi.". When I try the Manage Connection, the Wifi is greyed out.
Also I do have a BB data plan, and the os that I have is 5.0.0.681.
Here is my wifi diagnostics....

Wi-Fi Diagnostics (Basic): Oct 11, 2012 23:45:04 PM

Wi-Fi
Current Profile:
SSID:
AP MAC Address:
Security Type:
Local IP Address:
Signal Level:
Connection Data Rate:

VPN
Current Profile:
Concentrator Address:
Authentication: N/A
Secure Device IP:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
Connecting: Error
Authenticating router: N/A
Authenticating server: N/A

This whole thing is driving me insane; I'm searching and searching, high and low, to no avail. I no longer have my comp, so I just need the wifi to come on, on my ph, to keep from going over
on my data plan :smileysad:
If anyone can help, I'd sooo appreciate it

Thanks

Britt
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Angelicbeauty

Re: Wi-fi will not turn on....please help!!

A few other things that I've done to attempt to fix the plm is...

1.On manage connection, press the space bar to select the wifi
2.Type "test" on the status page under Options.
3.Sent the service books
4. Let the ph fully charge, and then did a battery pull, while the phone was on.
5 the only thing I haven't done is update the os (if there is an update avail) because I'd have to update from my ph (bc I don't hv a compute) and I don't see an option to update from my ph. Oh yeah, I also checked the Wireless Update under Advanced Options, but nothing was there.

I read somewhere that thos could be a bug, but I still wouldn't know how to fix it

Thx again
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

What does the Wifi diagnostics say when wifi is turned on? You posted all the diagnostics info but there is no data with it and it says the wifi radio is turned off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Angelicbeauty

Thanks for responding

I'm not exactly sure what the diagnostics said when the wifi was working, I never gave it any attention until now :/

I've also researched how to turn on the wifi radio, but it all leads back to Manage Connection and turn on the wifi, which is grayed out.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

So, the entire checkbox for wifi is greyed out and you can't select it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Angelicbeauty

I'm able to select the empty box and add "check" however the Wifi is gray and it should be white. Also there's a red "x" opposite of the grayed out word "Wifi" whereas there should be a green "check" there instead.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

I've seen this problem in the past and it is usually a hardware problem like a bad wifi radio or antenna. Is this a Bold 9000 or 9900? If it's a 9000 then it's out of warranty and there probably isn't much that can be done. If it's a 9900 it may still be in warranty and you should contact TMobile for support.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Angelicbeauty

Its a bb bold 9000. I have it covered under insurance. Maybe since this could be a malfunctioned, I shld get a replacement.

Well thanks John :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

I'm confused. So, you can check the wifi box in manage connection with no issues? When you say the wifi is greyed out are you referring to the wifi logo on the homescreen near the coverage indicator in the right upper corner?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Angelicbeauty

well what's grayed out, is the word "Wifi", in Manage Connections
Please use plain text.