Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Flywheel
My Device: Not Specified

WiFi Video Streaming

I have been trying to get an answer for this for awhile. I have reports from several sources that both BB phones (Flip, and the Bold) that have WiFi, have the capablility to stream video from mobile sites on the internet. So my 3G connection does it on mobile sites, but not when I am connected to the WiFi connection on the phone. This should work. I have phoned my wireless provider (Rogers) several times on this issue. They don't know and finally a WiFi Techie said there was a thread on the BB support site that says it doesn't work on the Rogers Wireless Network. He is wrong. The problem must lie with the media player installed on the phone. Can't adjust the settings on this application. Just goes from green "Loading" symbol to a red "Error" message. Should go from "Loading" to "Buffering" to "Playing", as with 3g. I tried to phone BB head office, but they want $50.00 right off the bat, just to say "hello" with the Tech, Dept.  I am very frustrated, as this is a new phone that I know should be able to do this feature.  It would be nice to access streaming video from any link on any website (not just mobile or wap sites). But I would be happy to just figure out the WiFi problem. As stated at the beginning, reviews of the Bold state  that WiFi CAN stream video. I heard this from more than one different reviews. Thank you for any answers.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cimm

Re: WiFi Video Streaming

I noted the same issue. I can access video on m.youtube.com while using the Rogers 3G network, but not while I am connected to wifi.

It would be wonderful to get some clarity on this matter.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Video streaming directly to the BlackBerry smartphone is currently unavailable.

You can read this link

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB05419&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cimm

urmilton - Section 3 of the KB05419 document is at least partly outdated. I am able to stream video to my BlackBerry Bold from m.YouTube.com over the Rogers 3G network; however, video will not stream if the device is also connected to a wifi network. Streaming works once the device is disconnected from wifi and remains connected exclusively over 3G.

This behaviour is odd and misleading. Ideally, the device should stream video over wifi as well as 3G, but even if it is unable to stream over wifi, it ought to automatically fall back to the 3G network.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Flywheel

Thanx for the responce cimm, and urumilton. As i stated in other threads, wifi does support video streaming on the bold down in the States, over the AT&T network. Why not here ? I want to know an the answer for this. weather it is RIMMs problem, or Rogers network.

Please use plain text.