Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
LikkleCutie
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: BTC

Wifi Connection

Goodnight, I'm trying to connect my bold 9650 to my wifi at home but I can't seem to connect even after I enter it manually with the security code. Is there any setting(s) that need to be changed in the handset?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Wifi Connection

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

LikkleCutie wrote:

Is there any setting(s) that need to be changed in the handset?

Usually not...but it's difficult to be sure of the exact steps you are following, and the exact method of WiFi connection you are using (WEP, WPS, etc.). If your BB and your WAP support it, WPS is the simplest as it allows the two devices to negotiate with each other for the necessary settings, avoiding having to manually enter them.

You can also try this KB:

• KB13299 How to use the Wi-Fi Diagnostics tool to troubleshoot Wi-Fi issues

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LikkleCutie

I'm not so into technology lol however my internet is linksys_WPS_2832, how do I know if my BB support it please & thanks ? When I put it in manually it one time it says failed to connect authentication certificate, however I just check the service status & it says BB Internet Service Connection: not connected & BB Enterprise Server Connection: not connected. What is KB?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

LikkleCutie wrote:

I'm not so into technology lol however my internet is linksys_WPS_2832,

I don't know your WAP, so I can't tell you what it can and cannot do. You need to break out your manual to learn if it supports WPS or not, and find there the instructions for using it.

LikkleCutie wrote:

how do I know if my BB support it please & thanks ?

When you are in the process of configuring a new WiFi network onto your BB, you are presented with choices...if WPS is there, then you can use it. If WPS is not one of the choices, then you can't use it.

LikkleCutie wrote:

I just check the service status & it says BB Internet Service Connection: not connected & BB Enterprise Server Connection: not connected.

So you have no carrier data network either? If you do have a carrier data network, but have this result, then you don't have, from your carrier, a proper data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services. At a minimum, if you have connection to your carrier, you should show BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) as connected (BES can stay not connected).

LikkleCutie wrote:

What is KB?

KB = Knowledge Base. A publicly accessible (via the link I provided above) database of BB-related issues/answers/etc.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LikkleCutie

Honestly I'm fustrated I think I'm just gonna go back to using a data plan which I didn't want to because I'm mostly home. I think the problem is where I need to select the security type to put in the password, these are the options I get : WEP, Pre-Shared Key (PSK), PEAP, LEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM & EAP-AKA. I use Pre-shared key (PSK). The SSID is linksys_WPS_2832 WPA2. Do you have a number I could call so you could give me a walk through ?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

LikkleCutie wrote:

these are the options I get : WEP, Pre-Shared Key (PSK), PEAP, LEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM & EAP-AKA.

Are these what you see on your WAP? On your BB? Somewhere else? I can't tell... If both devices support WPS, I still recommend using that as it will automatically negotiate between them. But, again, I've no idea if/how your WAP works for that.

LikkleCutie wrote:

Do you have a number I could call so you could give me a walk through ?

Well, ummm...sorry...but no. I don't get paid for my volunteer time here on these forums, and I'm just another user like you...I just happen to volunteer some time here to help out, and my privacy is something I just don't violate here.

I would suggest that you cleanly start over. Remove any trace of your BB from your WAP. Remove any trace of your WAP from your BB. Maybe even reboot them both. Then look at your WAP manual to see how to activate WPS, and if your BB does indeed support it, then use that to configure your WiFi network to your BB.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LikkleCutie

Ok...thanks very much I'll try start over & those are the options on th BB. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.