Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: KPN

Wifi and mobile internet

[ Edited ]

I have seen many posts somewhat related but didn't see any good answers.

I have a Bold 9780 and I don't have a very big data bundle for internet. I want to enable internet for Facebook and other apps like mail only when the wifi is available. I installed LogicMail which has a setting for this, but other apps seem to randomly use wifi or the mobile internet.

When I turn off the data services in the mobile network settings even the wifi doesn't send any data. The problem is, if I walk around near a wifi spot and i'm using that one, I sometimes loose the connection and the phone continues happily using the mobile internet resulting in a huge phonebill.

I tried editing the permission settings for apps denying Internet access, but that kills all the apps. I wonder why there is a second permission for wifi? Why would I want to disable wifi access but can't disable mobile phone internet?

Currently it seems that when I'm in the BB AppWorld it uses my mobile internet, though Opera doesn't but Opera doesn't seem able to install apps.

My question: how can I restrict apps to the wifi or atleast prompt me when using the mobile internet?

My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Wifi and mobile internet

Hello Strong99,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

The following article will provide you with more information regarding service availabilty over Wi-Fi® on your BlackBerry® Bold™ 9780 smartphone:

Services that are available over a Wi-Fi connection - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13368

As the data plan being used with your wireless service provider can also determine your ability to use applications over Wi-Fi, we suggest that you contact them for more information.

Thank you.

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: KPN

Hi FozzieBear,

The issue I tried to describe is that when I disable "Data Services" (the Off setting) in the Mobile Network settings the wifi stops responding on my gsm. I want to turn it off since I don't want to browse over the internet if the wifi is out of range.

So when I have "Data Services" turned on and I'm within a wifi spot I can use most apps. When I turn the Mobile Network off I can still browse and use most apps. When I then turn off the "Data services" in the already turned off Mobile Network the wifi stops sending data. And since I still want to be called or receive sms I need to turn the Mobile Network on.

So if you look at the table on the page you sent, i'm trying to do the 4 topmost rows.

Which works perfectly if I enable the data services in the mobile network but it prones to go wrong when I walk out of the wifi range and it starts to connect through 2g/3g etc.

So what is wrong? Or what did I do wrong?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

there is no simple way to do what you want.
the two regular methods are :

- phone calls off
- data services on
- WiFi on
this way, you get what you want (= internet 100% through WiFi)

- phone calls on
- data services on
- WiFi on
this way, you can receive phone calls, but cannot force the internet to go 100% through the WiFi

That being said, you can use a paid application like Shortcutme .

it contains several shortcut features, but the most relevant for your need are the macros.
I feel like it is possible for you to be on state B above, and create a macro that will detect when you are disconnected from the WiFi, will turn off the data services.
You would go into state C:

phone calls ON
data services OFF
wifi ON

and you can of course then create another macro that will move you from state C to state B.

This is an example, you have to look on fonware website for examples of macros.

for instance, I have created a one-click macro that will :
1 go to the home screen
2 go into the LGLG logs
3 empty the logs
4 go to the device status screen
5 highlight the line "File Free".

it is far from what is needed by you, but can give you an idea of what can be done with that app.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: