Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
hhazimin
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: DSTCom

Wifi doesnt work

I am very new to BB.

The BB service will be interupted in Brunei, so will have to use wifi instead. I tried switching off my Data Services, and connect to wifi but the whole thing does not work or get connected to the internet. When I tried opening the internet, it prompted, that I have to switch on Data Services.

Should a wifi be working without being independant to Data Services. Please advise on what goes wrong. Thank you

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sathishtvs
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: airtel

Re: Wifi doesnt work

I think data services needs to turn on ...... to do this

go to Menu-->Manage connections-->>Mobile network option -->data services -->On

then try to connect ............

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

9700 User guide

About connecting to a Wi-Fi network
If you are in a Wi-Fi® coverage area and your wireless service plan supports it, you can connect to a Wi-Fi network so that your BlackBerry®
device uses the Wi-Fi network instead of the mobile network to send and receive email messages, visit web pages, and so on.
You can connect to Wi-Fi networks at home or at work, or to hotspots available in public places, such as libraries, airports, hotels, coffee shops,
and so on. Your wireless service provider might provide an application for your device that allows you to log in to a hotspot. If you do not have
an application on your device, you might have to set up your own account online and log in manually.
If you have a wireless access point or router that uses Wi-Fi Protected Setup™, you can connect to a Wi-Fi network using the Push Button Setup
method or PIN method.
You can save the connection information for a Wi-Fi network in a profile, so that the next time you are within range of that network, your device
connects to it automatically. You can also change the profile so that you are prompted to connect manually. When your device is connected to
a Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi profile name appears at the top of the Home screen.
Turn on

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hhazimin
My Carrier: DSTCom

thank u both.
I just hope that i can switch off the data services to save roaming charges if im travelling as it pushes updates. And just concentrate on using wifi.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
UnlockMyBB
My Carrier: Rogers

If you leave data services off, you won't be able to use BIS/BES services on WiFi.

The only option to ensure you're not roaming is to turn the Mobile Network to OFF, while leaving Data Services and Wifi ON.

Obviously with this option, you won't be receiving calls or SMS.

The beauty of phones these days, if both WiFi and carrier signal are available for data, WiFi always takes priority.
Be sure to click the white Kudos star to thank users that helped.
Place the check in Solution? for posts that have solved your issue!
Please use plain text.