Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Wifi request using the BB 9000

I assume that the BB uses Rim's dns servers or a proxy server to route www requests through when using data plans and wap.
Is this the case when using wifi as the carriers charges would not apply and nor would the carriers free data.

The reason I ask this is that when using wifi with our office router , all std requests through port 80 get routed through a dns/proxy filter that restrics certain sites.
These sites are still available and accessible.

From this I assume that either www requests are being made to a rim proxy server NOT on port 80  and/or dns requests are made through rim when on wifi and their is no need to.

Anyone have any ideas or can shed light on this.??

Contributor

Re: Wifi request using the BB 9000

Anyone have any input on this?.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

This is the best article I could find, please let me know if pertinent:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB13922&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

If you need more information, please ask!

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudos’ star.

Just check the post that had your answer!

Thanks  

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-16-2008 10:17 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Hi thanks for the search, but its not what im looking for.

The simplest question I could ask would be the following.

Whay does the blackberry 9000 route requests for the internet through the blackberry servers when its on a wirless lan.

My observations tell me that its not connecting to port 80 of any web server but is connecting to some proxy out there in blackberry land.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

I think you would be better served opening a thread in the Blackberry Internet Services forum.

You will get more specific answers I'm sure.

Please resolve this thread it you decide to move,

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Developer
My Device: You wish.

So the correct answer is you question is as follows:

Firstly WiFi traffic travelling to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server has 3 potential paths it can take (depending on your carrier).

1. If the accessing point you are connecting to can hit or do a DNS resolve on the hostname of your BES or BlackBerry Router the BlackBerry will initially try to connect there. This of course uses the DNS server provided by your existing WiFi infrastucture. Depending on carrier default settings this can be used without a SIM card present.

2. The BlackBerry itself has a Host Routing table entry that allows it to connect to RIM's infrastructure over WiFi. This again uses the DNS server provided by the access point you are connected to. This traffic is wrapped in TLS (on top of the existing AES/3DES encryption of BES) and makes a connection over port 443 so it should connect without issue in most environments with zero firewall changes. The additional benefit of this connection method is that all other BlackBerry traffic can take this route not just BES (PIN,BIS,BBMessenger etc). This method requires the SIM to remain inserted in the BlackBerry to be used.

3. If your provider allows it you can pay for UMA (TMobile Hotspot @Home / Rogers Talk Spot) and this path again uses DNS from the access point to establish a tunnel to the carrier network which provides all carrier data and voice services including BB data.

Outside of this for strictly browsing via WiFi there is the WiFi / Hotspot browser which makes direct http requests out via your access points network again using your own DNS to handle these requests.

Hopefully this answers any questions regarding how DNS is used with WiFi on the BlackBerry and the different WiFi data services offered by BlackBerry.

Developer

PS Can a mod on here please create a WLAN or WiFi forum? Doing this on a per device basis is ludacris... kthxbye.
Contributor

Thanks for the answer

I will answer allthough I started a thread in BIS.

I am with Optus Mobile(AU) and have unlimited data through optus.ap.blackberry.net and connect to them for phone etc..

This I understand, but when im in either my home or work and use either my home or work WiFi router to connect to a website on port 80, using either the Internet or Internet browser,.

Those websites I view still show the request as comming from a blackberry server, should this be right as if I connect through my own router should it show originating from a blackberry server.

This could have potential problems for my children who using a blackberry can bypass internal filtering on my dns servers, or companies that use OpenDNS like schools.

Im not trying to nitpick , just get a handle on how to handle this so to speak.

Don

Developer

[ Edited ]

Understood, so it seems like you are using BIS which does explain why the HTTP request comes from a different server. BIS has a public MDS browser (the internet browser) which optimizes traffic for the BlackBerry when traffic is going over the carrier network and if you are connected over WiFi it doesnt matter traffic via Internet Browser / BIS will go out through the public servers.

If you wanted to force someone to only be able to use the WiFi browser which would use your router and network connection and abide by your filters you can delete the service book with IPPP for BIBS in it. This is only temporary though and will come back when a BB re-registers to the network.

As an alternative to using BIS if you want to force traffic to go though your own internal home network you can look at the BlackBerry Unite offering. The only downfall is that Unite requires a computer running connected to the net for it to function. Outside of that its a mini BES that will ensure traffic passes out through your home network first and not through the public BIS browsing which you can't filter.

Hope this helps...

Message Edited by viverant on 10-17-2008 01:13 AM
New Contributor

"Firstly WiFi traffic travelling to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server has 3 potential paths it can take (depending on your carrier).

1. If the accessing point you are connecting to can hit or do a DNS resolve on the hostname of your BES or BlackBerry Router the BlackBerry will initially try to connect there. This of course uses the DNS server provided by your existing WiFi infrastucture. Depending on carrier default settings this can be used without a SIM card present"

I'm trying to determine whether I can get my Bold do this as above without a SIM card or a pre-paid SIM Card when I'm roaming. Could Viverant or someone else explain how check, enable this feature in more deatil?