Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Your phone already has an email account on another network so new email cannot be setup.

Hi there.

I am having extreme difficulty setting up full bb service on a phone I purshased from a friend.  The friend would have canceled their mobile plan with the carrier (I assumed bb plan as well) but I am getting the error msg in the subject line.  I called the the carrier that i wanted to registered with and they informed me that I needed to tell the previous carrier to remove the phone from their system.  I did this and the previous carrier said that this was done.

I am howerver still unable to register with the carrier of my choice.

1) What does this mean

2) What can I do

3) is there a clear path to escalate this to RIM if neccessary

Thanks.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Your phone already has an email account on another network so new email cannot be setup.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

bamboo wrote:

1) What does this mean

There are two registrations of BB's on carrier networks...one is for all of the voice services, the other is for the data services. For data services (which includes email), the BB PIN is locked to the carriers BIS service; the PIN can be locked to only one BIS in the world at a time. It sounds like they have not released that component.

bamboo wrote:

2) What can I do

Have your friend contact their carrier and get them to release the BB PIN from their BIS.

bamboo wrote:

3) is there a clear path to escalate this to RIM if neccessary

For free, only through the carrier. For a fee, the Support & Services tab at the top provides information.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Your phone already has an email account on another network so new email cannot be setup.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I am on this page http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/programs/technical/incident.jsp#tab_internet

It gives no contact information on how to begin an incident or to get a quote on what it would cost.

where can I get that.

New Contributor

Belay that question. I must be blind.  Or my browser is forming the fool.  I see it now.

Thanks.

New Contributor

I have a question.

The full error says:

[code]

Your phone already has an email account on another network so new email cannot be setup.  Continue activation for Prepaid Blackberry (internet) services only.

[/code]

I suppose internet only means (browsing, messaging with msn bb mesenger and whats not, and webmail) but no email for my phone.

What I want to know is if I can go ahead and sign up for the services and then sort out the email later as I am awaiting word from the BB dept of the carrier.  But it has been a week i have been waiting for them to sort this out.

Can I go and get the internet services only and then when the PIN issue is resolved sort out the email?

Thanks.

Hall of Famer II

Sorry...but I've no idea. Your carrier is in control of how their service works...and I've never used it, so I have no experience with that. If I had to guess, I say that yes configuring BIS now for browsing won't cause a conflict later when you can finally configure email accounts. But that is indeed nothing more than a guess -- 50/50 chance of being correct.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

In conclusion, I am up and running.

I don't know why though.  I began to register, and again the error about my phone has an email account on another network.  I decided to go ahead and register for internet services only...but as the process went thru it prompted me to set up an email for the phone.  I had the option to choose an existing one or create a new one of the form username@carrier.blackberry.com.  I went with an existing email.  I belive i could set up the blackberry one too although I have not tried and don't really need it.  I can also log into bis via my carrier of choice.

Hall of Famer II

Excellent! Glad you got it working.

And - FWIW I agree that an @bb email account is redundant since the BB can access any other email account you may have. Plus, using those other email accounts, you have backup (that email service)...the @bb emails are only available on the device, so there is no backup except for what you do with DTM.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates