If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
bb9900help
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

battery red x ?

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me - I have a blackberry bold 9900 and 2 days ago my phone stopped charging and shows up witt he black screen with an empty battery and a red x through it. The red LED flashed when the phone is plugged into a charger at the mains and the USB however the laptop doesn't recognise that there is a phone plugged into it so I cannot do the updates that I have seen a few people tell others with the same problem to do. 

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,876
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: battery red x ?

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the charging cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage). If it doesn't reboot on the first attempt, leave it several more hours. I've had one charge for two days before it came back to life after an extreme battery depletion. Every 3-4 hours, with the device still connected to the charger, you can remove and replace the battery to see if it reboots.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sameerao
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have the same problem with my new Bold 9790, purchased not even a month a go. The phone was fully charged and I made good  about 2 calls and put it back in the holster. The next moment I get it out and it would start. Tried pressing the cancel call button, no results. Took off the battery and reinserted it, no results. Finally I put it for charging. The red light was shining and then after some time it stopped and the screen displayed a battery icon with a red X right in the middle. I tried doing everything as mentioned on this blog as well as other blogs when searched through google thinking that it was a battery problem. I charged the phone for the whole day, removed the battery while charging and reinserted it. To the point that I also went to the place where i bought it where they tried using a new fully charged battery but with no results. I finally submitted the phone for repairs at the BB service station yesterday. Its been not even a god **bleep** month since i Purchased the so called BOLD 5 and all I get is a bad phone which would take 6-7 days to get repaired. Feel like suing RIM...!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

sameerao,

Vodafone, your seller, is in control of your warranty. A new phone like that, they should have IMMEDIATELY replaced with a new device. You should demand better service from Vodafone.

Sorry for your troubles.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sameerao
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

How I wish!! Well the handset was purchased from a distributor called Redington India. There's no way that one can reach them by email or by phone. They don't seem to be interested in picking up the phone. the worst part is this issue can not be escalated to RIM cos there areall we no contact details for bb or rim on the India website. All we have is the helpline number for redington. Its after 2 yrs of use of bb I built in the confidence to buy a high end bb. But now I guess rim is not serious ant the business.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hleb819
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: celcom

any idea ???im facing this prob yesterday...trying to pull n insert batt...the x symbol still appear..huh

Please use plain text.
JSanders

hleb819 wrote:

any idea ???im facing this prob yesterday...trying to pull n insert batt...the x symbol still appear..huh

hleb819, I have already responded to your other thread. There's no need to start another discussion here in this old thread.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
ewwitsjenny
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Koodo

I GOT A SOLUTION!

Ok, so this has been happening to me a lot with my 9790, and it sure is a pain in the ***...
I got my battery with my phone when I purchased it from the phone company, if you did too the battery is most likely legit.

So the 2 ways that worked for me are:
1) Plug the charger into the device and turn it on so the Red X appears again
2) Plug the device out, then take the battery out and hold it in your hands for 1-2 mins (that's what I did)
3) Put the battery back into the device and plug the charger back into the device, BUT DO NOT turn the device back on
I plugged the changer into my device without turning it on, and the LED turned on with a black screen, you wait 1-3mins and the screen will appear with a lightening bolt through a battery.
This means it's now charging, once that happened I still didn't turn it on. It'll go to the Blackberry loading screen on it's own. TA-DAH!!

If that doesn't work, here's the second way, but it's a pain in the ***...

Hopefully you Backed Up your phone recently..because what you're going to have to do is reinstall your phone, I can't remember the steps correctly but it's pretty simple
What you want to do is connect your BlackBerry to your desktop or laptop, and open up the BB Desktop Manager. From there your BlackBerry won't be detected. Then you have to update it and click on look for updates or whatever it says, then do that and even though you already have that version just click ok to update it. From there it'll update and reinstall everything. By the time it's done you're phone should be wiped except for the things you have saved on your little memory card. Next just restore everything you had backed up from the desktop manager.

Hope one of those steps helped ya!

Please use plain text.
miss81376
My Device: 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Okay, this might sound absolutely obsurd, but try dropping it on the floor from about 2-3 feet, then plug it back in to charge. Worked for me.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

miss81376 wrote:

Okay, this might sound absolutely obsurd, but try dropping it on the floor from about 2-3 feet, then plug it back in to charge. Worked for me.

I don't recommend that... but if it worked for you, good deal.

Be prepared for alternate consequences.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.