Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

dbacreations
My Device: Bold 9780

battery

hey guys i was on the site looking for a number to call but couldnt find it but came across this so i'll see if someone can help through here.

i have a bold 9780 and every afternoon my battery gets to about quater maybe two thirds and says its fully drained shuting off hand held!!

i hav taken the hand set to my service provider and they want to send the phone away! i need my phone for work purposes so is there any way of contacting black berry and getting a replacement batter if this is what is needed

cheers guys

Dale

DBA Creations

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: battery

Roughly every 30 charges, deliberately discharge your battery to 10-15%, and fully charge to 100% afterwards. This will help maintain the accuracy of the “fuel gauge” on the device (your battery meter or scale). It has nothing to do with the battery memory (as mentioned, Li-ion batteries do not have memory) but helps maintain the accuracy of the device’s percentage of battery charge left.

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
dbacreations
My Device: Bold 9780

alright sweet i shall try that and c how i go!! thanks mate
New Contributor
blackpowerbunny
My Device: Bold 9930

I'm not sure if my battery issue is in the same boat. In the last two days my battery has lost 10% power every 30 minutes and that's without use. I've literally taken screen shots every 30 minutes to document it. I have no idea why or how it started, but the phone is only 3 months old (Bold 9930 from Verizon).

The part that really concerns me is that the back of the phone is "hot". When I pick up the phone, I can feel the heat from the battery area. That doesn't sound normal to me.

Any ideas?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

blackpowerbunny wrote:

In the last two days my battery has lost 10% power every 30 minutes and that's without use. I've literally taken screen shots every 30 minutes to document it. I have no idea why or how it started, but the phone is only 3 months old (Bold 9930 from Verizon).

To prevent quick drain on the battery, the most important practice you can adopt is to be sure to CLOSE applications when you are finished using them.

If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory will get used up, and the battery will drain.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
blackpowerbunny
My Device: Bold 9930

I read that tip and I do close the apps. What's funny is that I rebooted the phone last night and didn't open any apps: no UberSocial, Foursquare, nada. Didn't touch the web either.  I just wanted to see what the deal was because the phone would get stuck and I would have to reboot in order to use the phone.

Even then it continued to lose power. Besides receiving an occasional email coming in, it's just sitting. I admit that normally at work I leave it charging, but today I'm considering letting it die again. It died yesterday after about 4 hours and then I charged it up. It took longer than normal to get to 100%.

This morning I unplugged my phone at 6:14am and now at 8:30am it's at 55% battery life. I've only checked my calendar at 7am when I arrived. Other than that, I tap on the screen to see how much juice has been lost.

I don't expect batteries to last forever, but my Tour lasted a year and a half before I had issues such as this (I replaced it in the end). Battery issues of this sort after 3 months is disappointing.