Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
dubya
My Device: Bold 2 9700

bb maps can't find satellites

It used to work great, but now the bbmaps app can't find any gps (except once in a while it works?!?!?).
I've wiped the device, exchanged it, r&r'd the maps app, still no go. Google maps finds my location instantly, but bbmaps does not. I've reset the gps info and it consistently sees 5 - 9 satellites (sees 8 right now), still bbmaps is a no go.

Any help would be huge!

9700 / v5.0.0.442 (Platform: 5.1.0.121) / 107.9MB free / Telus

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: bb maps can't find satellites

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Try testing the in device GPS.

CLick on the options icon>status. There is not a data entry field just type the word test press enter.

Then follow the bouncing ball, I would just select the GPS test.

(I know several of these tests leave a log file that can be emailed to your carrier, make sure you check!)

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
dubya

Thanks for the reply.

That's a neat trick. The GPS test passed and found my location in under 2 secconds.

Unfortunatly, still no GPS lock within maps. I gave it 5 minutes after clicking the start gps menu item, still no go.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

dubya wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

That's a neat trick. The GPS test passed and found my location in under 2 seconds.

Unfortunately, still no GPS lock within maps. I gave it 5 minutes after clicking the start gps menu item, still no go.

Than much time hunh?

:smileyvery-happy:

Hopefully it will start to pick up more satellites after you reset it.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
dubya

Hmmm.... Thanks anyways.

Just wondering, is anybody else having this problem? If so, is BB aware?

This seems obvious to me that it is a software problem (although I am not a BB expert), maybe maps is fixed in the "leaked" version 5.0.0.862 for the 9700 available in an other forum, or perhaps the upcomming version 6? Any thoughts?

New Contributor
dubya

Ok. So I took my phone back to the store and exchanged it for another one, again. I am now on my 3rd phone in 8 months. Same problem.  It worked fine for 6 months, now it wont work on 3 different phones. Surely I'm not the only one?

The guy at the store agrees with me that it is a software problem and sugested either downgrading to an older bb, exchanging for an iphone, or waiting for the new Torch (expected shortly), and paying the difference, if any.

Is there a blackberry that has both maps and gps that function together? This was a major selling point for me.

New Contributor
CarlF
My Device: Bold 9700

Install Google Maps, which is free and GPS-aware.  See if that can detect your GPS receiver.

New Contributor
dubya

Google maps locks on to gps signals just fine, it just does not  function well as an in car gps. Besides, I think you're missing my point. If I purchased a $700 dinner and complained that the the fish was bad, they would't tell me to go to the food bank and get one for free. They would fix it, or at least give me my meal for free.

Now, I love everything else about it, and I'm not saying my 9700 is a fish. Nor an I asking for it to be free. I'd just like to get the software fixed so it functions like it did for the first 6 months.

Obviously, there is no solution here for me. Time to kick it up a notch.

New Contributor
CarlF

I wasn't suggesting using Google Maps instead of your preferred program, just using it to test the GPS functionality.  If Google Maps works, you know the problem is software, not hardware, is all I meant.

Contact RIM via your carrier.

New Contributor
sekharr

Great tip! I was facing the exact same problem, your tip worked! Only the location finding takes a long time, but anyway now it works, earlier it did not work at all - just said "unable to locate satellite" or some such. Thanks.