Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: blackberry bold 9900
My Carrier: telus

blackberry bold hardlocked

Hello, yesterday we tried to unlock our blackberry to move from Telus to Virgin. However, we used the wrong code and exceeded the number of MEP attempts, meaning the phone was permanently locked to Telus. Today we went back to Telus to re-activate the account and use the phone for Telus. We purchased a new sim card that was activated with the account and phone number. However when the sim card was inserted into the phone the message "this sim card requires an unlock code, would you like to unlock it, yes or no" appeared and no matter what you clicked the message disappeared and no new pop-up appeared, the top of the screen read "invalid sim card" after hours on the phone with the Telus tech support they concluded that it was an issue with the phone or software. We called the blackberry support line who said that yes the phone was hardlocked to telus but it should work fine with Telus. We got transferred many times and no one was of any help. One person told us to try reinstalling the software by connecting it to our computer. Once we got home we tried that but nothing changed. How can this be fixed? The phone was bought outright and is less than a year old and in perfect condition. There must be something wrong internal that is preventing it from working with our carrier. If there is a way this could be fixed that would be much appreciated.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: blackberry bold hardlocked

[ Edited ]

HI and Welcome to the community...apologies for the delayed reply...hopefully you already got this sorted, but just in case!

From what you describe, everything sounds correct...the BB is hard-locked to Telus (due to the code being entered wrong 10 times), but it should still function fine on Telus. The mistake I suspect has to do with the new SIM card...the code requested there is totally different from the device MEP lock code, and would need to be provided by whoever provided the SIM. Or, the SIM could be defective, and a different one should be tried (which I don't see as being any resolution step attempted).

In any event, Telus should resolve this...you've been a good paying customer to them for some time, so they really should be motivated to keep you as such. I recommend you continue to work with Telus, finding higher and higher levels of their BB-specific tech support folks, so as to find a proper resolution to this situation.

You also may have recourse with whoever provided you the MEP code...if they provided you with an incorrect code, you may have recourse with them. Of course, I supposed that they might ask why you exhausted all 10 attempts before contacting them...

Another thought just struck me...what is the VendorID of the BB? You can find it via this procedure:

• KB25524Commands to use with Java Loader

You might also be able to find it by going to the HelpMe! screen on qwerty devices by hitting ALT+SHIFT+H. If it is not 126, then the device was not originally made for Telus (then again, it never should have worked on Telus if it was not unlocked...so this might not be useful after all).

In any event, good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code