Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: 2011;bbm9900

blackberry protect can't find my lost device,it told me "Unable to determine the current location of this device".

i have been backing up my device, and back-up data is available on protect website, i never tested blackberry protect to see if it is reading location, What are options of tracing "bbm 9900",

Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900

Re: blackberry protect can't find my lost device,it told me "Unable to determine the current location of this device".

Hello, 0791020

Cause 1

Location reporting is disabled

Cause 2

Location Services is set to Location Off

Cause 3

The connection to the GPS signal is lost or weak

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=825603D5FFB53D6FD3D26878371A372A?...

Their are no other option to trace unless you had other 3rd party app install to track your phone.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: blackberry protect can't find my lost device,it told me "Unable to determine the current location of this device".

Hello 0791020

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

In addition , as your device is lost or stolen you should also read this helpful article :

Lost or Stolen BlackBerry -- What to do?

If someone remove the SIM card from your lost device then BlackBerry Protect will not able to locate your device .You should try to contact your Carrier to block your device PIN or IMEI .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tadayo
My Device: blackberry z10

Hi, my friend has andrioid samsang s2, and it works locating the devise without sim while GPS is on, wifi on or both GPS and wifi are on. The GPS on its own can locate the phone less accurate than wifi, seems to me. Most of the train and tube stations have free wifi so if the thief removes  blackberry's sim and battery in situ on and GPS and wifi were on, can't it be traced as well?

TADA

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

tadayo wrote:

"..........if the thief removes  blackberry's sim and battery in situ on and GPS and wifi were on, can't it be traced as well?"

No. Rule #1 of BlackBerry Protect: The phone has to be turned ON. If the phone is turned OFF, the internal GPS cannot connect to the satellites to be traced. It doesn't matter if there's a SIM card, if it's connected to Wi-Fi...whatever. No power, no connecting. The Samsung S2 would be the same in this respect.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tadayo

Thank you, BillJ. 

I mean when the mobile phone is on with no sim and GPS is on and occationally with free wifi on... so in this case, can it be located 

When using blackberry protect to locate the phone, is it possible for me to gather the locations between now and when I lost my phone in the past, say for the last 4 days,  or only it searches the location when I am checking with my desktop

TADA

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

It searches for your phone at the time you perform the search and will tell you where it is at that moment but not where it's been before that.
Your phone must have its SIM card in it for it to be traced.

I hope that answers your question. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tadayo

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Please use plain text.