Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: **bleep** customer service

So are you gonna answer the remaining question? See above please, item 1.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 9780

Sorry, don't know - it is a pay as you go phone on Orange - that's all I know - i'm just an old fuddy duddy trudging through these ever increasingly confusing technological times. 

As I may have mentioned this phone is my teenage daughter's -  who is berating me to buy her a new phone which I can ill afford and she is getting ever more irate as she cannot communicate with her mates to let off steam whilst I am trying to "persuade" her to revise for her exams, hence the fact that I have now been on the case for approx 12 hours give or take with a break to cook supper. 

thanks,

Druid

Hall of Famer II

druiddruid wrote:

Sorry, don't know - it is a pay as you go phone on Orange - that's all I know - i'm just an old fuddy duddy trudging through these ever increasingly confusing technological times. 

OK...take a look here...see how many Orange's there are? Which one is yours?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Orange uk. 

Hall of Famer II

OK...then according to the official download portal, this BB is already beyond the version your carrier officially support. I've no idea how it got that way, but that's what it is. I don't know if another carrier has officially released your OS or not, so it's also possible that the version installed is a leaked version and not one that any carrier officially supports. You'd have to dig through that download portal, finding all carriers that support that model, and seeing what OS level they are supporting.

It's also possible that Orange UK found out that this BB is beyond their supported OS level. In which case they are within their rights to refuse to provide support until it falls back to their officially supported level. Again, this can only be theory on my part.

You also have yet to answer me about File Free. Nor have you said one way or the other about by thoughts on Xobni. I honestly ask you questions for specific purposes as each data element is a piece of this puzzle. I cannot proceed to provide you a recommendation until you reveal the answers to these questions.

Thanks.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Sorry,

had to go back and read posts as I missed some of the one re above.  Loads of file free space and as i have mentioned,  I went into my BB through attaching it to my computer and deleted all apps except blackberry apps.  I feel there may be one of two option open to me 1) I noticed when looking at you orange link and opening up the "Orange uk " link that you can download the orange OS for your black berry - I downloaded mine directly from the Blackberry site today - trying to resolve this issue.

or 2 I do a factory reset.  All I have on the phon are photos and address book as far as I can tell.  If i do a factory reset will it wipe these (will I have to download them to my cccomputer befere i do it ?).

The only thing is Xobni (as far as I know has not been on my computer) and the camera did work on the old operating system I had for some time before playing up.

cheers,

Druid

Hall of Famer II

druiddruid wrote:

Loads of file free space

Sorry, but "Loads of file free space" can mean anything to anyone. I'd rather you tell me the number, but I'll take your word.

druiddruid wrote:

I went into my BB through attaching it to my computer and deleted all apps except blackberry apps.

If an app caused OS corruption, this would solve nothing about that.

druiddruid wrote:

I feel there may be one of two option open to me 1) I noticed when looking at you orange link and opening up the "Orange uk " link that you can download the orange OS for your black berry

Yes, that being the official download portal, that is where one obtains official OS packages that have been released by the carriers.

druiddruid wrote:

I downloaded mine directly from the Blackberry site today

Well, what did you download? As I said before, what is installed to your BB is NOT the version that your carrier officially supports. So, to use your carriers OS package now would require replacing the OS on board your BB with that from your carrier.

druiddruid wrote:

trying to resolve this issue.

I don't understand...you mentioned no "issue" in the words before this...I do not understand.

druiddruid wrote:

or 2 I do a factory reset.

I fear you left some words out there...I do not understand.

druiddruid wrote:

All I have on the phon are photos and address book as far as I can tell.

Please look here:

• KB29207 How to view the applications installed on a BlackBerry smartphone

That will tell you all apps you have installed on the BB.

druiddruid wrote:

If i do a factory reset will it wipe these (will I have to download them to my cccomputer befere i do it ?).

A ResetToFactory will indeed wipe out all data on the BB...see this:

• KB18998 How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

However, I do not believe that to be helpful as all it does is exactly what is says. If the problem is, as I suspect, corruption in the BB OS itself, then reloading the OS is what is required. Further, ResetToFactory requires installation, to the PC, of the exact OS Package that is already running on your BB...since you say you have downloaded what comes from your carrier portal, that IS NOT the same, and the ResetToFactory won't therefore be able to function.

druiddruid wrote:

(will I have to download them to my cccomputer befere i do it ?). 

Before any of the methods I'm considering, you will need to perform a backup of the BB data:

• KB23680 Backup BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0 to 7.0

druiddruid wrote:

The only thing is Xobni (as far as I know has not been on my computer)

Well, Xobni may or may not have been on your computer...but that's not relevant. What matters is if it was ever on the BB itself.

druiddruid wrote:

and the camera did work on the old operating system I had for some time before playing up.

So, that only lends credence to the fact that something introduced corruption to the OS.

I'm really quite lost here, with my questions so often going half answered. I'm down to telling you the following, but I must leave it to you to fill in the details since I simply cannot seem to elicit what I need to know:

1) Remove all OS Packages from your PC

2) Download and install whatever OS package you desire (if applicable, remove VENDOR.XML files after the install)

3) Launch the Desktop Software and use it to backup the BB

4) Now use the Desktop Software to install your chosen BB OS, but leave it as "bare bones" as possible

5) See if things act OK...if they do not, stop here and seek formal support

6) If things are OK, then restore from the backup (selective restore please, of only the necessary databases)

7) Wait a while, long enough to determine that the behavior does not present (perhaps a week?)

8) Slowly start putting add-on apps back, waiting a while (another week?) between, to be sure that the behavior does not present.

9) Once the behavior presents, you have your culprit

10) If the behavior never re-presents, then the deduction is that some prior app had corrupted that OS install, and the reload is what cured it.

Good luck.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Hi again,

thanks for getting back.  Being a technophobe I am trying my best to answer your questions -sorry to cause you frustration !! 

I have deleted all apps bar blackberry apps - as previously mentioned..  However if I understand you correctly, even if I have deleted them,  the damage has already been done so - now they are all deleted re -instal a new OS (the one from Orange ) whilst I have no apps on. ?  Will installing the Orange OS automatically remove any previous OS's ?

Had a look at your KB29207 but does not make sense to me - were do I find the first menu ? 

Why do you have to wait a week ?  If there is something wrong does it not go wrong straight away ?

Thanks for your patience with me,

cheers,

Druid

Hall of Famer II

druiddruid wrote:

I have deleted all apps bar blackberry apps - as previously mentioned..  However if I understand you correctly, even if I have deleted them,  the damage has already been done so

Under the theory of an app causing OS corruption, yes this would be accurate.

druiddruid wrote:

now they are all deleted re -instal a new OS (the one from Orange ) whilst I have no apps on. ?  Will installing the Orange OS automatically remove any previous OS's ?

Performing a clean OS reload will replace everything on the BB..the process does not care what is already on the BB. It can be an OS with little else or an OS with much more...the process does not care as it will replace all that is already on the BB.

druiddruid wrote:

Had a look at your KB29207 but does not make sense to me - were do I find the first menu ? 

Oops...sorry...in my confusion, I linked the wrong KB for you there:

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone

druiddruid wrote:

Why do you have to wait a week ?  If there is something wrong does it not go wrong straight away ?

The point is to wait long enough to be convinced that the behavior will not present, and then add something else and wait again, until the behavior presents. There would need to be some interval between adding additional things so as to know which, of all things, is the culprit. But, how long is "long enough"? Only you can make that judgment as you have much more information than I have. I guess at a week, but I am also very conservative...sometimes corruption takes a bit of time to show up. For instance, an app may perform fine the first few times it's used...but, later, perhaps it needs to store more data somewhere, and when it does that, then the corruption is introduced. All of this is theory.

Good luck.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thank you very much for your persistance.  One last question.  My daughter has just informed me that when she gets a call, as she answers it the phone also goes dead.  she takes the battery out,  reboots it,  and at the point of finishing rebooting it goes dead again.   (as it does when it goes dead as she tries to take a picture).   When I plug it into my computer it reboots and I can unplug it and it comes on.  My daughter is convinced the problem is that the battery is knackered but when I go through this process the battery icon shows that the battery is 3/4 full - could the problem be a defunct battery ??  

cheers,

Jon.