Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

bold 9000 keyboard unlock question

[ Edited ]

thanks for the help with upgrading my BB bold 9000 to OS 5 - it worked!

however ...

i used to be able to unlock my keyboard by pressing * with the answer phone key ...

and now it wants me to press the mute button on the top of the handset.

is there any way to program this back to the keystroke unlock?  my unit was passed down to me at work and has an iSkin sleeve on it ... which completely covers the mute button and is too thick to allow the mute to be pressed through it.  every time i have to unlock it, i have to peel back the iSkin to get to the button. (does that make sense?)

i'd take the iSkin off, but my back cover keeps falling off, and the iSkin is the only think holding it on. (again, passed down work phone ...)

thanks!

Laura

Solutions: 6,266
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: bold 9000 keyboard unlock question

No, that cannot be reprogrammed. The new OS removes the keyboard unlocking you were used to.

If you press the green dial key to enter the Phone call log > Menu > Options > General Options > Homescreen Dialing set to NO, you should be able to use the K key to lock and unlock the device keyboard.

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

ok ... well that saves my sanity for searching through the millions of menus looking for the option to reprogram that...

thanks!!

i tried your instructions and the K key does lock it but doesn't unlock it.  i'll keep fiddling while shopping for a new iSkin :-)

thanks again!

Laura

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Didn't work for me and the Mute button will not unlock my phone...is it possible to go back to 4.6? I have to turn the phone off and quickly "hit any key" then it will unlock...what a pain...you would think Blackberry would come up with a "fix" for this....
Contributor
My Device: 8100,8300,9000,9700

Doesnt work, join the MUTE on the BB9000 doesnt work club............. its a blackberry design flaw. Mute button is oxidized and wont make contact. My company will look to move to iphones or offer in the near future. Cant wait to see how many will intentioanlly break their BB.

If your mute button is a new BB feature of upgrading to OS5 -  the only work around is to hold the power off button - then cancel BB power off.

New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

I know this post is old, but I recently had the same problem with by BB Bold 9000.  I discovered an easy solution to this problem in the form of an app from SRID Games. The app is called "Slide Lock OS10 Style". I had the same problem as you with the mute/unlock button not working on my BB Bold 9000. This app allowed me to use alternative buttons (or gestures) to lock/unlock the buttons of my phone. Have a good day!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Os7.1
My Carrier: Dtac Thailand

i used to be able to unlock my keyboard by pressing * with the answer phone key ...   and now it wants me to press the mute button on the top of the handset.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Os7.1
My Carrier: Dtac Thailand

with the answer phone key
Solutions: 6,266
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yea, the new models make use use of that top edge mute key.

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

This is the app that I mentioned in my yesterday's post http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/20485886/?lang=en .  I'm surprised that it is now a free app from blackberry world.  I paid $0.99 for it last week!