Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

bold 9900 has terrible Wi-Fi functionaily!!!!

Have owned six BlackBerry devices over the last several years, the last three of which have supported Wi-Fi connections fairly well. To my surprize my new Bold 9900 has absolutely dreadful Wi-Fi support. Some penny-pinching development manager seems to have spec'd the cheapest chipset or antenae possible. That, or the network handshaking is not well optimised? It can often see a Wi-Fi net but fails to connect to the Internet.

Very disappointing in a 7th generation device!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: bold 9900 has terrible Wi-Fi functionaily!!!!

What OS version is your device running? You can get this info by going to Options > Device > About Device Versions - it's the number listed after the v (e.g. 7.1.0.267).

We have a Bold 9900 in our house and it doesn't have any issues with WiFi connectivity. But that said, I know that others have had some issues that have been resolved by either an OS upgrade or OS reload.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

I have already updated to the latest OS. It works perfectly if I am within 20 ft of a router. Beyond that its hit and miss but generally terrible. I suspect its just cheap component selection. If so, stupid decision on the part of the Product/Program Manager in terms of customer satisfaction. There are 70 threads on this forum re: 9900 and Wi-Fi and they all say essentially the same thing. VERY disappointing.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I don't know... our Bold works fine with the router a floor down. But hopefully someone from RIM will see your thread and can pass your feedback along.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

I can only compare the Wi-Fi functionality of the Bold 9900 to my Wi-Fi experience with several other BB models I have owned including Curve, Torch, Pearl and older Bold models. This is by far the worst performer of the bunch.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

maybe a defective unit, then.
the 9900 is the high end device of the BlackBerry7 generation. I seriously doubt it can have an antenna planned to be worse than a Curve's.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: