Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
matt21489
My Device: blackberry bold 9900

bold 9900 no vibrate & no camera flash

Morning all,

This has been an ongoing issue for months now, of which countless troubleshooting steps have not resolved it.

Basically, the vibrate notification and camera flash are somewhat intermittant on my phone; whereas 1 week they will not work at all, and the next week they will work fine.

I have tried numerous battery pulls, I have tried downgrading/ upgrading the devices version, tried full software resets (back to factory settings), and as far as I know I have checked all of the options incase anything was unticked etc.

This to me does not seem like a hardware issue, as like I say it is intermittant, though surely after deleting every third party application from my device it should function as normal?

Any help or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

As said, this is a blackberry bold 9900, version 7 OS 2406, on Orange.

Thanks,
Martin
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: bold 9900 no vibrate & no camera flash

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

matt21489 wrote:

This has been an ongoing issue for months now, of which countless troubleshooting steps have not resolved it.

I do hope that what you already listed include ALL of those "countless troubleshooting steps" that you've already attempted...otherwise, we risk redundancy...

matt21489 wrote:

This to me does not seem like a hardware issue, as like I say it is intermittant, 

I would tend to agree, but nothing here can be 100% certain.

matt21489 wrote:
though surely after deleting every third party application from my device it should function as normal?

Not necessarily...if an app introduced corruption to the core OS, then removing the app does nothing to repair the corruption. Only a clean OS reload would cure that...which just happens to be a great transition to my recommended next steps for you.

Unfortunately, the OS version you indicated isn't actually accurate...we really need all 4 octets of the OS level. Likewise, you've not listed the actual OS packages you tried. Further, you've said your carrier is "Orange", but not which Orange it is. So, all in all, it's a little challenging to do any research on this for you without those details. Nevertheless, find your specific OS level and then look here:

Find your carrier and model, and compare their current OS for your BB against what you have installed. If they have a newer version, then perhaps that has the cure you seek. Likewise, if another carrier has a newer version, you can use that as well if it perhaps has the cure you seek. Unfortunately, the carriers are notoriously bad at releasing any change log information, so it's pretty much impossible to say if the fix you seek is actually included in any available OS package.

Next, from a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file(s) named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If you indeed suspect any of your add on apps, then I would recommend a slow approach. Initially, install only the core of what is required for your BB to function. Wait long enough (a week?) to be certain if the behavior will present or not. Once you are sure that it will not present, then add your first add-on, again waiting long enough to be certain. Repeat this cycle until all of your add-ons are installed. Once the behavior presents, you have your culprit!

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
matt21489

Thanks for the response, and sorry I've took so long to reply.

I've tried the steps listed - deleted all third party apps and reloaded the OS through loader.exe, and upgrading to the newest version, which is currently:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.1149 (All Languages) 

Package Version: 7.1.0.1149
Consisting of
:

Applications:7.1.0.342

Software Platform: 5.1.0.276

I'm still not getting any vibrate/ camera flash on the phone, and it appears to be at completely factory settings.

I'm on Orange UK aswell i that helps, sorry my original post was not 100% clear.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello,

So, now your symptoms are different? In your original report, you stated that vibrate and camera flash were intermittent. Now, you say you are "not getting any" of those at all?

Please clarify. Thanks!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
matt21489

To clarify:

When I mentioned the problem was intermittent; it would maybe work for 1-2 days out of 2 weeks, whereas no hardware/ software changes would prompt this.

I mean it may well work tomorrow for all I know, as it seems quite random - though if it did I can pretty much assure myself it would stop working the next day.

Thanks,
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...well, intermittent problems are strange indeed. It's also impossible to firmly diagnose at an internet distance. It could be software, it could be hardware (I lean toward software). But, you might see if others report the same. You also could take it in for formal evaluation and potentially warranty support, which you would seek from your original place of purchase.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
matt21489

I think letting phones 4 u (the place I bought the phone) is going to be my next, and last step. I tried them quite early on, though they advised me they would need the phone for at least 2 weeks, and did not offer a replacement to use in the mean time, which is a bit of a blow.