Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: glo

bold 9900 won't connect to bis

I just got a new bold 9900, I bought it on my vacation abroad.. Now am back home, I tried using by new phone and it just won't connect to the Bis service, at 1st I thought it was a network issue, so I contacted my service provided.. Until they discovered I can't get a data coverage.. I tried many way to get it to work and I can.. There no way I can return it back to the point of sales coz I got it when I travelled out.. Am hopping I could get another solution to this problem.
Super Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Re: bold 9900 won't connect to bis

Hello!
Why can't you get a data coverage?

Regards,
Kostadin.
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!
New Contributor

The reason is unknow to me, but I was told by my service provider that my bold9900 has a factory error, so it has refused to connect with BIS.. Meaning the BIS newtork has refuse to come up.. It keeps showing small edge, 3G without the  logo
Super Contributor

Hello.
It is really strange your network supplier to tell you that there is a factory error, keep charging you for the BIS and not taking actions to solve the issue. Contact them and insist to swap your device with a working one.

Regards.
New Contributor

I got the new device on my vacation abroad, so returning it is out of the question.. All I know is that the device has refuse to connect to BIS, would really love to have have a solution to this problem.. Thanks
Super Contributor

Hello,
Can you be more specific, how did you buy it/contract, prepaid or free/, is it or was it locked, where did you buy it from. Everything that could bring out more information? How about wi fi, is there a problem with it, can you connect to any?

Regards,
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello...here is some additional information that may well apply to this situation.

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such...you must check this). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

Further, if your BB has ever been associated with BIS on any carrier, and that carrier did not release the BB PIN from their BIS system, then even if you do manage to get over all of the above hurdles, your carrier will be unable to properly create a BIS account for that BB.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Yeah I tried doing the steps you gave to me, I checked. To see if its locked by typing mepd on under sim option and it showed the network disabled, infact all options under it was disabled..and from my understanding its unlocked right?.. So if its unlocked what option do I have left to try out... Thanks for the effort, really appreciate
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

Well, that would be step 2 of all that I described above...so that's just one item of many that you have satisfied. What about the rest?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code