Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

5hortbus
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: bold question uncaught exception java lang?

[ Edited ]

You can add me to the "No Worky" list.  Several of my "shortcut" icons work anylonger.  Particular issue are applications. BBM,SMS/MMS mailbox, Poynt, not sure what else. I updated several days ago. Now have v5.0.0.405 (Platform 5.1.0.112)

But, my sms worked this morning. But only via my email inbox- hitting menu and selecting compose SMS.

Any help? I've done a "Quickpull" reboot, and several battery pulls with no love.

Please use plain text.
hjliv
My Device: Bold 9000

I have the same problem. It just started today after a year or so with the phone. I've tried countless battery pulls to no avail. The truly disconcerting thing is it won't let me back-up either.

Please use plain text.
samcginnis
My Device: Bold 9000

I'm having the same issues... only mine won't allow me to view/receive emails or text messages. I don't sync my address book... and I wasn't using it when the error occurred. But after reading the forum I did try to sync it with the desktop manager and it tells me that no device is connected... though of course it is.

Help. Please? Someone? This is so agrivating.... I'm seriously wishing I had gotten a dang iPhone....

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

samcginnis wrote:

I'm having the same issues... only mine won't allow me to view/receive emails or text messages. I don't sync my address book... and I wasn't using it when the error occurred. But after reading the forum I did try to sync it with the desktop manager and it tells me that no device is connected... though of course it is.

Help. Please? Someone? This is so agrivating.... I'm seriously wishing I had gotten a dang iPhone....

For the error message, see this:

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, one must remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app.

For the lack of recognition of your BB by your PC/DTM, see these:

Here is the list of troubleshooting articles...hopefully something will be useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-quot-disconnected...

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DeanInOz
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Optus

I had the "Uncaught exception : java.lang.NullPointerException" display on my phone having been able to (finally) restart my phone 2 days after water damage (dropped in the toilet).

Initially I tried the suggestions such as a battery pull, and the Alt/Shift/Delete, but none of these were successful.

The only way that I've been able to move past this problem was to resort to:

1. Connect the phone by USB cable to my laptop using Blackberry Desktop for Mac (using Version 2.0.0)

2. Blackberry Desktop provided me with a prompt indicating that it could not connect with the phone, and suggested that a full reinstall of device software was recommended - which I accepted.

3. After waiting for about 10 minutes for the new software to install, and my device to restart, some of my applications were no longer available. Thankfully, I have been doing regular backups of my device, so was able to restore a previous backup.

4. After restoring a previous backup, found that not all applications were available (including Password Keeper - my main concern). From 'Device' menu, selected 'Appilcations', and reinstalled software for specific applications that were missing.

5. Performed another 'Restore' of data from a previous backup, this time only selecting the PasswordKeeper and PasswordKeeper Options - worked a charm!

Now I just notice that my handset keyboard is playing up, so will have to take myself down to a phone shop and see if this can be repaired or replaced.

Just happy to know that my phone at least works! After dropping it in the toilet I had thought that it was lost!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

DeanInOz wrote:

Just happy to know that my phone at least works! After dropping it in the toilet I had thought that it was lost!!!

FYI -- when it comes to moisture intrusion into a BB, the only thing that is certain is that the results will be unpredictable.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
jeetukotak
My Device: Tour (9630)
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Did u get the solution for it or if anybody has a solution pls msg me 

Removed personal information to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use.

Please use plain text.
jeetukotak
My Device: Tour (9630)
My Carrier: Vodafone

did u get the solution for it.?????
Please use plain text.
weilandluver
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

I haven't been having this problem after I make a call. I have rebooted my phone numerous times and I still get this message. I thought it was my twitter update, but then it started causing my phone to go blank with a white screen and said "reset erorr 603" I had to use another simcard just to stop it from doing that then I reset my phone to an earlier date and I'm still getting the uncaught exception java lang message :smileysad: HELP!!!!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

weilandluver wrote:
I haven't been having this problem after I make a call. I have rebooted my phone numerous times and I still get this message. I thought it was my twitter update, but then it started causing my phone to go blank with a white screen and said "reset erorr 603" I had to use another simcard just to stop it from doing that then I reset my phone to an earlier date and I'm still getting the uncaught exception java lang message :smileysad: HELP!!!!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you've indeed already tried ALL that is already posted above, then perhaps this process might help you:

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.