Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: docomo
Accepted Solution

cannot switch on my bold 9900

hi.. 

last day i kept my bold 9900 for charging and when i came back, it shows a black screen with a battery symbol. i tried to charge it again,so the red light blinks and then shows the black screen with battery again. then i tried to switch on my device with my friends battery and i could switch on my phone. but after a while that battery also got dried up and when i tried to charge, same problem happened.

i tried all possible ways to switch it on. tried to update os using desktop software and web with and without battery. once it reaches reconnecting to jvm, it shows an error saying unable to connect device. tried using jl cmder, but it could not connect the device too saying unable to open port.

hope some one here could help me with a solution..

New Contributor

Re: cannot switch on my bold 9900

and yea, my phone is not vendor specific. i bought it from RIM.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Try the list on second post here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/blackberry-bold-9900-cannot-turn-on/td-p/2570...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

hi, thanks alot for giving a reply

1) i cannot try to safe boot as my phone cannot boot at all. only thing i can see when i plug my charger is a black screen with a battery symbol

2) i tried with another battery before and the phone works, so the problem is with phone. but that battery also dried up and i cannot switch it on

3) tried force detection using application loader and tried to update using web. but when the update reaches reconnecting to jvm stage, it takes a lot of time and after a while an error message comes saying my device is not connected and try reconnecting.

4) tried to connect using jl cmder but even that could not connect my phone saying unable to open port.

so now i have no idea whats wrong with my phone.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

No tricks will be of any use without a fully charged battery. No diagnostics can be run without a fully charged battery. No remedies can be attempted without a fully charged battery. So, that's your first step...you need a fully charged battery, and then you can attempt the Safe Mode tricks indicated earlier. The results of Safe Mode will either provide you with a resolution or the need for next steps.

If the need is next steps, then I recommend this (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

1) i put my battery on the phone and tried to charge, what happens is, the red light came for a while and then a black screen with a battery symbol. i kept it for hours and i think my battery is not charging. but when i tried to charge earlier when my phone was switched on, it shows the battery is charging. so i think the problem is not with the battery and since my phone is switched off the battery does not charge.

2) went to that device os download page. but that is carrier specific os. my phone is not carrier specific as i bought it from RIM. my carrier is asia pacific - TATA DOCOMO gsm, but they dont have bold 9900 os.

so from where can i download 9900 os directly to my desktop software?

New Contributor

both bbsak and jl cmder cannot detect my device

Hall of Famer II

zameertm wrote:

1) i put my battery on the phone and tried to charge, what happens is, the red light came for a while and then a black screen with a battery symbol. i kept it for hours and i think my battery is not charging. but when i tried to charge earlier when my phone was switched on, it shows the battery is charging. so i think the problem is not with the battery and since my phone is switched off the battery does not charge.

Agreed...but, to solve that and proceed with anything, you still need a fully charged battery. How you obtain that is up to you...but you must do so, and you cannot do it by trying to charge in the BB.

zameertm wrote:

2) went to that device os download page. but that is carrier specific os. my phone is not carrier specific as i bought it from RIM. my carrier is asia pacific - TATA DOCOMO gsm, but they dont have bold 9900 os.

All OS's are released by carriers. Any carriers OS can be used in any device, as long as it's for the same exact model number. Indeed, that's what deletion of the VENDOR.XML file(s) does -- causes the installation to bypass validating the source carrier of the OS against the carrier allocated to the device.

Even if you bought it directly from BlackBerry, it still will have been originally made for a specific carrier. All BBs have in their firmware an unchangeable value of VendorID, which indicates the carrier for which the device was originally manufactured. Even an unlocked BB, which can then be used on any compatible carrier, retains that original VendorID. And it is actually that VendorID that is checked against the VENDOR.XML file(s) in the OS package -- deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s) bypasses that cross-check, allowing you to use any carriers OS package.

zameertm wrote:

so from where can i download 9900 os directly to my desktop software?

Now that you understand the process, you know how to proceed. Choose, from those carriers that support your model, the OS package that you desire.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

zameertm wrote:

both bbsak and jl cmder cannot detect my device

Still irrelevant. As I've said, the first step is a fully charged battery -- without that, nothing else matters.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

i ve got 2 batteries. since my phone is switched off, both cannot be charged.

i ve downloaded device software. i ll get a new battery asap and ll sure let you know the result.

thanx for ur patience and for your detailed answer. it was very informative.. :smileyhappy: