Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Developer
My Device: Bold
Accepted Solution

corrupt or bad call sound

This is the second time this has happened in the last 4 weeks.

When making a call, the sound has a clicking sound which cuts the sound in and out. Conversation is impossible. Resetting (soft or hard) does not resolve the issue. The only way I was able to recover was by reinstalling the OS (doing an update).

This time, I notice that the issue occured right after I pulled out the head phones out of the jack. I tried put headphones back in. Playing music sounds still good. Tried turning of service, bluetooth etc, and turn back on. No use.

I'm running 4.6.0.297 on a BOLD.

The phone is unsuable as a phone, only good for music and texting. I'm going to update to 4.6.0.304 later today and see if this helps.

I'm guessing that something is getting corrupted. Any ideas?

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: corrupt or bad call sound

I know this sounds silly/simplistic. A great deal of the time this is due to something that has gotten in to the headset jack. Turn the device on its side hole down and LIGHTLY tap from the top. If you have canned air (computer essential item) direct a jet ACROSS the hole (not into) while it is facing downwards. There could be a piece of detritus that is making the device "think" there is a headset jacked in when there is not. If you don't have canned air a light across the top of the hole whuff of your breath can sometimes dislodge whatever might be inside. There is no plug like on some instruments. It doesn't take much to full the phone.
Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Developer

The dirty plug is an interesting thought. After I updated the last patch, the voice now works correctly. I checked the ear plug and don't see any junk.

Its a pain to update the phone software as it looses all the applications settings, such as facebook login, having to cancel out of the BB tutorial as such. Now why would running an update solve the issue?

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

If it is apparently as you indicate not something of a physical nature (detritius in the jack) and a software update solved the problem that answers your last posed question. How any sound output is handled has both a physical and software side. The software drives how the sound (music/voice whatever) is output to a physical device (headset/speakerphone/handset). If the software is corrupted it will not properly output to the physical. Fix the software fix the problem.
Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Highlighted
Developer

I'd like find out if its a sofware bug, or a hard issue and that I should consider getting a replacement before it becomes too late. But I have a feeling that until this becomes a more recurring problem RIM isn't going to be able to do much with it.