Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
joningall
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: disable the touchscreen on my Blackberry Bold 9900

No, I didn't test it.  Rogers wants their major accounts to buy direct, so I did.  That said, never would have found this problem in a store.

I'm done posting about this.  Thanks for your effort.  

New Contributor
TroyJollimore

Although you are the helpful type, he had no need to apologize. Your reply WAS touching on arrogance, and a bit of ignorance as well.

For instance, we rolled out the Blackberry in our company to our users. They didn't have a choice, and neither did we. The Bold 9700/9780 was no longer available 'new' from the providers, and EVERY new Blackberry device has a touch screen. As for testing, this also has little bearing on the purchase. I happily use my 9900 every day without ever encountering this issue. However, I just had a user walk out of my office after showing me how it affects him on almost every call. Watching him, I can see exactly what's happening, but there's no way to stop it. That's just how he (and some others) use their phones.

So, barring purchasing a bunch of 'old', soon-to-be-unsupported Bolds, what option would there have been other than going to Android? (Which was very tempting, but I believe RIM will turn around.) This thinking in design seems to be similar to Microsoft, though. You'd think having the option (even buried deep in the settings) of disabling the touchscreen would be a no-brainer. I'm going to try that TalkLock app, but based on a couple of the comments, I'm wondering if it'll be enough.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It'll be enough, I've used it. Works well.

Arrogant or ignorant, at least I don't troll users telling them they are so.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
TroyJollimore

Ha! Couldn't help myself when you cut buddy down like that... It's a fine line to walk when you have people out there doing something you'd NEVER do yourself, but you can't call them on it. I keep tongue-in-cheek a LOT. :smileywink: What really sucks is that our refresh was up last month, and we couldn't stretch for the new BB10 devices coming next Spring. Hopefully they'll be worth it. I'm an equal supporter of BB/iOS/Droid, but heavily favour supporting BB in the workplace as the best choice so far.

Your recommendation of that app gives me a bit more confidence. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900

I don't get all the anger at the device. You bought a touchscreen device and complain about not wanting or ever wanting a touchscreen .... You did know the 9900 was a touch right? Don't blame the device. Blame the user in this case.
New Contributor
TroyJollimore

The point I was making was, so you want a new device. You definitely want a Blackberry. Okay, show me a new Blackberry that DOESN'T have a touch screen. Now show me an alternative new device that doesn't have a touchscreen...

To go back to that AWD analogy for cars. You hate AWD, you hate the car and the maker because you can't turn it off. You're still stuck, because (suppose) ALL cars are now made with AWD because it's safer! Sure, you could buy an older used car without it, but you want a new one so you can have a warranty and all the new features.

JSanders

AWD is just sooooo nineties, though.

Touch rocks. :smileyhappy:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
TroyJollimore

But it's just started coming 'en vogue' in the 21st century! Only a few had it back then, and it IS awesome, especially for an unskilled driver. Now, pop-up headlights? THEY are definitely a nineties thing! :smileywink:

And I'm old, and miss them... :smileysad:

New Contributor
joningall

The touch screen is cool.  It does lots of neat things.  I will gladly forego all of those features in order to avoid the accidental redial or conference call. 

That said, I cannot get around touchscreens anywhere, so I'll modify my behaviour instead; I have just received a wonderful little box from UPS with my brand new iPhone in it!

Am I the only one who thinks that a multi billion dollar company should offer customer support?

JSanders

Heck I even used the touchscreen on our old b/w Magnavox television in the 60s.

'Course, my father always said stop that, but as a four year old... i touched everything.

Knowledge Base Updates