Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
netviber
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Orange

disabling security password

having now wiped the phone & tried the enable/disable seems to work fine but as soon as I restore everything from backup I can no longer disable it.

EE advise me I will need to do a selective restore. Can you advise me which device data & settings folders to look for to save time?:smileyfrustrated:

Regards
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: disabling security password

Hello,

I am not quite sure if what you have been told is correct...from what you have stated here, I do not deduce the same thing that EE has advised you to do. Nevertheless, you can review the link in my auto sig on this post related to backups for information concerning which databases are for which purposes. Typically, if you are having such troubles, you would restore only those critical databases (e.g., contacts, calendar, messages) and avoid everything else -- yes, that does mean you have to reconfigure your device for your preferences, services, etc...but it does assure not repeating the problem.

Then again, your issue could be as simple as activating Content Protection/Encryption on your device...if you do so, it must have a device lock password to enforce that security item.

Or, your issue could be an IT Policy on your device which is enforcing a device lock password...but only a very specific wipe (ResetToFactory) can remove that...the on-device WIPE actions do not remove the IT Policy. Hence, from what you describe, I doubt you have a latent IT Policy since only that one specific wipe method would have cleansed it and allowed you to enable/disable as you say you could do.

In any event, please review all of this, including all of the information available via the Backup link in my auto sig to see if you can determine exactly what you need.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
netviber

sorry don't understand what you mean by 'auto sig'. Incidentally I have disabled encryption but this makes no difference. I am not aware of any IT policy affecting my device as am a stand alone user.
Regards
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

netviber wrote:
sorry don't understand what you mean by 'auto sig'.

My auto-sig is this information at the bottom of all of my posts:

Capture.JPG

I have circled the link you would need to click to get to the information I recommend you review. You will need to click within the actual auto-sig (below) rather than the above image however.

netviber wrote:
Incidentally I have disabled encryption but this makes no difference. I am not aware of any IT policy affecting my device as am a stand alone user.

KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

Incidentally, since you've provided no additional details (e.g., the exact WIPE method you already attempted), it is a little difficult to provide you with further guidance. Until we understand exactly what is happening, and exactly what you already tried, we risk giving you redundant advice, which only serves to waste your time.

Thanks and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
netviber

I simply used the delete all data option from with BB Desktop Software.  I removed the SD card first.  The back up was done using the BB Desktop Software

Regards
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK thank you...then if the cause of your issue is IT Policy, then that method of WIPE would not have been useful. Only the ResetToFactory method can cleanse a BB of an IT Policy:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

You will need to be careful during your restore afterwards...do not do a full restore, but rather a selective restore of only those databases you require (e.g., Contacts, Calendar, Messages), specifically NOT restoring any databases that have anything to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, or any such things. If you restore those, then you will wind up right back where you are now (assuming, of course, that IT Policy is the cause of your issue...from what you've revealed, I cannot know if it is or not).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
netviber

begging your pardon the factory reset is the one  we used now I come to think of it.  Forgot about the ? in the top right hand corner.  Just a user you see :smileyhappy:

Regards
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

netviber wrote:

begging your pardon the factory reset is the one  we used now I come to think of it.

Ahhh...OK...then the question remains concerning if/how you performed a restore after the ResetToFactory. If you simply did a full restore, then it dutifully put the IT Policy back onto the BB, returning you to exactly where you started. Then again, I still do not know if this is indeed the cause of your issues...you've no responded to the earlier suggested method for checking to see if there even is an IT Policy on board your BB.

netviber wrote:

Forgot about the ? in the top right hand corner.  Just a user you see

I'm sorry? I don't quite understand...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
netviber

Security Status Info shows - No Services

Security Info shows - Secure GC Enabled

Regards
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

And, when you compare that result to the KB, what do you conclude?

I conclude that your BB indeed has an IT Policy on board, which is therefore the likely cause of your issues. So, again, if as you say you indeed conducted the ResetToFactory but then subsequently did a FULL restore, then that dutifully restored also the IT Policy, returning you to exactly where you started. You must use the selective restore process, as I indicated somewhere above.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.