Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

encrypted photos on Bold 9900

Good Morning/Afternoon,

Could use some help....  A coworker of mine asked me to download photos taken with his BB.  I pulled the microSD from the phone and with a card reader, just copied the files over to my computer.  I did not realize that the photos were encrypted until I tried to open one and should of have downloaded the BB Desktop software and then copied the photos over from there.  Now, if I had read the manual before doing all of this, then I would not be having this problem.  Note to self....Read the manual first.  Now that I am in this situation, here are my questions:

1.  Is there a reader/viewer out there that I can download and be able to unencrypt those photos?

2.  What if I copied the photos back over the the microSD card and then download from the BB to my computer?

Any help is mostly certainly appreciated....

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: encrypted photos on Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

tinathetech wrote:

1.  Is there a reader/viewer out there that I can download and be able to unencrypt those photos?

No...refer:

• KB25484 Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone

tinathetech wrote:

2.  What if I copied the photos back over the the microSD card and then download from the BB to my computer?

I am confused as to why you would need to do this...after all, you said:

tinathetech wrote:
I pulled the microSD from the phone and with a card reader, just copied the files over to my computer.

Given that, the files still exist on the card (copy versus move...you said copy), so there is no need to re-copy them back to the card, is there?

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

Thank you for your response.  In regards to my thought of copying photos back over to microSD, I was thinking about wiping the microSD, reformat the microSD while in the BB, then move the photos back over to the microSD.  Hopefully I made sense explaining this.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I've never attempted what you are suggesting, but I doubt it will work. When you reformat the card (there is no WIPE command for the SD card, only for the device itself), I believe that the encryption keys will be changed, rendering those prior encrypted files useless. The KB I linked above for you governs all about your situation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code