Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
tallnoe
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: t-moile
Accepted Solution

exporting contacts

Hello - I've tried everything that all the support forums say, to try to export my contacts from my Bold 9700. My desktop manager is updated, my software on the phone is up to date, yet nothing will work. I tried syncing the contacts in the manner suggested, but I cannot find the contacts, nor can I find where the ACSII items are.

Can anyone help? I really want to make sure my contacts are accessible. I've backed up the phone recently, but I cannot use any doc to access the contacts.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: exporting contacts

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Depending on what you are really needing to do, there may be multiple solutions for you. For instance, if you have Outlook on your PC, you can configure synchronization with your BB and thereby treat the data in Outlook as "master", with the BB actually then being the copy.

On the other hand, if you just want to review the data you've already backed up, you need a 3rd party PC app that can parse the BBB or IPD file (depends on the Desktop Software version you are using) to do that...I've heard that MagicBerry has a good reputation.

On the third hand (3 hands???), you must be using Desktop Software prior to 7.0 (as I recall) in order to export from the BB to ASCII or CSV...but, the process you would have conducted to perform that export (if that's what you did...it's hard to be sure from your post) would have included you saying where, on your PC, it should place that file. If you can't find it, do the export again, paying close attention to the steps where you make those choices.

In any event, can you clarify what your actual desire is? Then we can give more specifics about what would be best to achieve what you want.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tallnoe

Hi

Thanks for the info. I have outlook, but I don't really want the contacts in there.

I want the contacts in soft copy, separated from my blackberry. I want them backed up, and accessible.

Desktop Manager is v7, as that was what was available to download w/o the disc. I only mention ACSII because when I searched for how to do this, that is what came up.

I really just want to have my contacts in an accessible format, that is not locked to my bberry. I used to be able to do a dump into CSV, but I'm at a loss for where it is.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,922
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Article ID: KB24488 How to export contacts from a BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

tallnoe wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the info. I have outlook, but I don't really want the contacts in there.

I want the contacts in soft copy, separated from my blackberry. I want them backed up, and accessible.

Desktop Manager is v7, as that was what was available to download w/o the disc. I only mention ACSII because when I searched for how to do this, that is what came up.

I really just want to have my contacts in an accessible format, that is not locked to my bberry. I used to be able to do a dump into CSV, but I'm at a loss for where it is.

As I said, the ability to export to CSV/ASCII is gone from Desktop Software 7+...you have to use an older version for that specific function. You can obtain older versions here:

or here:

But, as I also said, if you obtain a 3rd party app, you can see the data contained inside of your BBB/IPD backup file, and avoid having yet one more data file to keep track of.

But, it's your choice as to how you wish to proceed. I provide only recommendations...you control your destiny.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tallnoe

Not the right desktop manager. That's the problem there.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

tallnoe wrote:

Not the right desktop manager. That's the problem there.

Yes...I thought I was clear on that point...was I not?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tallnoe

is there a way to export using 7.0?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Apparently I'm not being clear...I did say:

sdgardne wrote:
As I said, the ability to export to CSV/ASCII is gone from Desktop Software 7+...you have to use an older version for that specific function. 

So the answer is, again (3rd time now), no.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tallnoe

You were clear - there was another post that I was referring to. I'm trying magicberry right now.

I can't even find any functionality to export or merge or anything from 7.0.

Nor, obviously, was I able to respond to the correct post - but thanks for repeatedly telling me no.

Please use plain text.