Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

ZH14
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

frozen from update - help!!!

Right, so yesterday my phone decided to tell me there was an software update available, so thinking that it was a good idea I clicked update. It was NOT a good idea. It froze on 10% for over 10 hours, not the 2 hours it said it would. So i came on here and read through a few posts to see if anyone else had this problem and how they had solved it. Someone said they pulled the battery a few times and it worked, so i tried it. As it turned back on, it wasn't on the screen it was on before, it looked like it would normally when it was locked, except my background was gone. I tried unlocking it but it was still frozen. So i had to battery pull it again as it was the only thing that would do anything and it re-loaded saying that the update was complete, but everythings gone. I still have my pictures but all my apps have gone, my contacts are gone, everything. HELP ME PLEASE?!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: frozen from update - help!!!

I'm not sure if you were plugged in to BlackBerry Desktop Software all the while you were pulling the battery, but if not please plug your phone back in to your PC and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  If your phone does not connect, have a look at this article:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144 .

Let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rufeta3
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: mtn nigeria

I am also been faced with a similar problem. My phone is always frozen after reboot since i did a software upgrade. It takes several attempts off removing and reinserting the battery to get it to work and this has been so frustrating. I need help to reinstall the OS that came with the phone if that would correct  the problem.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,922
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

rufeta3 wrote:

I am also been faced with a similar problem. My phone is always frozen after reboot since i did a software upgrade. It takes several attempts off removing and reinserting the battery to get it to work and this has been so frustrating. I need help to reinstall the OS that came with the phone if that would correct  the problem.

At what point does it start freezing, does it work for a while at all?

Do you recall what OS you upgraded to?

Do you recall what former OS was on the device (no idea what to tell you to downgrade to if you don't know).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Claire_Coker
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

I have similar problem! my phone was showing a software update available.  So yesterday I hooked it up to the computer to back it up before I started the update but it wouldnt back up.  I kept getting the message that I needed to do the software update in order to back my phone up.  This morning I did the software update and now my phone is stuck on 10% of the data back up and has been for about 7 hours now.  I have taken my battery out countless times but it keeps reverting back to trying to back up data and sticking at 10%!!! HELP

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Claire_Coker wrote:

I have similar problem! my phone was showing a software update available.  So yesterday I hooked it up to the computer to back it up before I started the update but it wouldnt back up.  I kept getting the message that I needed to do the software update in order to back my phone up.  This morning I did the software update and now my phone is stuck on 10% of the data back up and has been for about 7 hours now.  I have taken my battery out countless times but it keeps reverting back to trying to back up data and sticking at 10%!!! HELP

Please read this for a resolution that works.

"Error backing up databases" message is generated at Smart Card Options database when backing up th...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rufeta3

My phone can connect to the blackberry desktop software. I have also tried the suggestion in your post but it still not working.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

rufeta3 wrote:

My phone can connect to the blackberry desktop software. I have also tried the suggestion in your post but it still not working.

rufeta, I asked you several questions above... please answer.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rufeta3

It starts freezing after it has completed rebooting and the screen is theme is showing. You can activate any of the functions with the key except by touching the screen with your thumb.

I think i upgraded to OS 7.1 but i am not too sure i can recall the OS that was in the phone before the upgrade.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Can you try this... remove the SIM card and Media card from the 9900 temporarily, and now replace the battery.

Does it continue to freeze?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.