Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: help me format my memory card

[ Edited ]

alicebinns123 wrote:
I'm now wiping my old phone, and have already wiped my new phone to see if that will make a difference!

Noooooo! Wiping the BB does nothing to the Media Card! Only if there is an OS level problem MIGHT wiping be useful...it might not, but it might.

Edit -- Wiping will touch the media card, but only IF you have a new enough OS AND have made the proper selection when initiating the on-device WIPE command.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Sorry, I was late on the response, you're wiping the phones.  Let us know the results.  You could also take it to the store to get another set of eyes on this.

Wolf359 wrote:

Hey when you format the card using the blackberry it will put some default folders back on there like pictures, music, etc.  Is there something specific that isn't going away when you format it?

Excellent point! The folder structure will be put in place by the formatting, but individual files should be gone.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Veteran III

He may have chosen the option to wipe the media card when doing the blackberry wipe. I hope that works.

Wolf359 wrote:
He may have chosen the option to wipe the media card when doing the blackberry wipe. I hope that works.

Yeah...I caught myself (and edited my post above) on that point...oops... 

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Veteran III

:smileyhappy:

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

When I format it nothing goes away, its all exactly the same?

And whenever I try to delete stuff by the interface on media > explore, it keeps coming up with the error message 'directory not empty'
Contributor

Wiping the phones made no change to the media card
Contributor

Also, my initial problem was the fact whenever I took a picture it would save and then I would not be able to view it after and then whenever someone sent me a picture or voice note on bbm it would come up with green writting where it had been sent but I wouldn't be able to view or listen to it, so I then asked around and formatting was apparently the answer but formatting won't work so if I can fix my initial problem another way then I can ignore the formatting issue! Its just very annoying as I have had this phone for less then a month and it is already playing up!:smileysad:
Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions though
Forums Veteran III

If you format the card using the blackberry, it will put some default folders on the card like pictures, music, etc.

If you format the card using a computer, it will be empty.
I'm thinking you're doing the format correctly but you're expecting the card to be empty.  Using the blackberry to format it will place the default blackberry folder structure on the card.  The PC will not.