Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
misa2012
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: att

how can I get my password recovered?

The problem is that I put .com at the end instead of .net ..my email was example@att.blackberry.net but I put on example@att.blackberry.com on the blackberry I'd .....
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bbknave
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: how can I get my password recovered?

[ Edited ]

I've got almost exactly the same problem ... i've got a period put in the middle of my username for my real email address (i.e. first.last@company), and somehow my BB email address has no period (firstlast@company).  I wonder if there is some way to get this reset.

(edit)

Is there even a customer support address to email?  It looks like they tell you to ask your wireless carrier, who I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with your Blackberry ID email address.  Beyond this, it looks like you have to pay $49 to talk to BB support. 

Am I missing something, or is BB support rather pathetic?  I'm glad I've got a HTC phone for my personal phone!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Neither of you quite said clearly, so I'm guessing you are referring to your BB ID credentials...there are others it could be, but I hope my guess is correct. If so, see this:

• KB28060 How to change or update a BlackBerry ID username on the BlackBerry ID website

bbknave wrote:

(edit)

Is there even a customer support address to email?  It looks like they tell you to ask your wireless carrier, who I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with your Blackberry ID email address.  Beyond this, it looks like you have to pay $49 to talk to BB support. 

Am I missing something, or is BB support rather pathetic?  I'm glad I've got a HTC phone for my personal phone!!!

Nice first post. Thanks for that. You see, when you purchased your BB and subscribed to services, you signed up for a support model, and everyone is contractually bound to that model. To say it is "pathetic" is a judgment, based largely on comparing it to other support models....and, also irrelevant. It is what it is, and everyone agrees to it when they enter into their contracts. As a matter of contract, BlackBerry indeed provides no front line support for anything whatsoever. As your service provider, your carrier is contractually responsible for 100% of your front line support; even if the issue happens to be rooted in a BlackBerry system, your carrier remains your front line support channel, and can escalate into BlackBerry cases that require it.

Here is perhaps something you did not consider in your judgment. BlackBerry makes a wide range of devices, many that are targeted to specific carriers. In that model, it actually makes some sense to put the burden for front line support onto the carriers...they are closest to their customers and may well be the only carrier in the world with that specific device. Other SmartPhone manufacturers tend to make a much smaller quantity of devices, and force the carriers to either accept or reject them...in that model, the device manufacturer can perhaps provide support since what is needed is much more generic. Further, consider the services...the carriers actually host, within their infrastructure, servers and services that are specifically for their BB customers only...but the carrier owns and controls those systems, BlackBerry does not. Hence, if BlackBerry were to provide support, many cases would have to be sent back down to the carriers when the issue involves the carrier-controlled systems.

So, BlackBerry devices and services are, quite simply, very different from others. As such, the support model is likewise different. But it is neither right nor wrong -- and certainly not pathetic IMHO. If you cannot tolerate the support model to which you contractually agreed, then you indeed should shift to a different platform that more closely matches what you can deal with.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bbknave
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I was unclear in my statement, and you misread the original poster:  The O.P. does not their original password.  Neither do I. 

Is there a facility on your website to reset a BB ID when you have a typo in your email address and have forgotten the password?  This seems unlikely due to security reasons.  Perhaps I am wrong. 

I appreciate your snarky response to my complaint.  My tone may be related to my frustration in the "Error 603" message that my 9930 started to display at the end of last week.  The wonderful fix from my carrier was to wipe the phone and start from scratch.  I realize that BB is meeting contractual obligations, and never accused you of violating them.  I just think it is a bit subpar to have no email contact with support except for an additional $49 fee -- especially when my carrier seems to think that wiping a phone is the go-to troubleshooting procedure. 

All the best, and thanks for your quick reply.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
misa2012

I can't reset the password because the email ends with .com instead of .net so its incorrect
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

bbknave wrote:

I was unclear in my statement, and you misread the original poster:  The O.P. does not their original password.  Neither do I. 

Is there a facility on your website to reset a BB ID when you have a typo in your email address and have forgotten the password?  This seems unlikely due to security reasons.  Perhaps I am wrong.  

As you have guessed, for security reasons, access to the actual email account associated with the BB ID is required to recover from the situation as you have described it, and that access further must be from other than the BB. Security is indeed high...BBs have the highest security of all mobile devices on the market, and this is indeed part of that.

In that condition, there is a choice to make depending on your circumstances:

If you have no AppWorld records that you require to retain (e.g., purchase records for apps), then simply abandon the BB ID and create a new one. To do so, however, does require a device WIPE:

• KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

If you do have AppWorld records that you must keep, then you require human intervention. To receive that, you must ring up your mobile service provider and convince them to escalate your case up to BlackBerry. Further, you must convince BlackBerry to provide you with a solution -- which likely will either be resetting your current BB ID so that you can again access it or having you create a new BBID and they will manually move your purchase records over. Note that I have no idea if they will be willing to do this, but there is no other way that I know of to retain your prior AppWorld purchase records.

bbknave wrote:

I appreciate your snarky response to my complaint.  My tone may be related to my frustration in the "Error 603" message that my 9930 started to display at the end of last week.  The wonderful fix from my carrier was to wipe the phone and start from scratch.  I realize that BB is meeting contractual obligations, and never accused you of violating them.  I just think it is a bit subpar to have no email contact with support except for an additional $49 fee -- especially when my carrier seems to think that wiping a phone is the go-to troubleshooting procedure.  

I appreciate your words...thank you...I also had no way to know you'd experienced anything other than what you posted into this one thread. A 603 actually has much more extensive recommendations than you were provided with:

• KB23951 "Error 603", "App Error 603", or "JVM 603" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

The carriers control all front line support...as I said, they can escalate into BlackBerry when necessary, but they are responsible for performing a great amount of troubleshooting before they do so. While it is sad that many resort to means that are less work for that particular agent, it is human nature I suppose for different agents to perform at different levels.

As I said, I appreciate your words...but one thing still troubles me...

bbknave wrote:

I realize that BB is meeting contractual obligations, and never accused you of violating them. 

In the "you" part of that, who exactly are you thinking that I am? If you are thinking that I am a BlackBerry employee, you are quite mistaken. Indeed, this site is not a method for any formal communications with, escalations to, nor support from BlackBerry for any purpose whatsoever. Rather, it is a volunteer-contributed user-to-user community of folks trying to help other kind souls out as best they can...the processes and systems are tricky, but many good people volunteer their time here to try and help out others. So, I violate nothing...for I am not employed by BlackBerry.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

misa2012 wrote:
I can't reset the password because the email ends with .com instead of .net so its incorrect

Yes, thank you. Then the same thing I put in the post above this applies to you as well. If you have no non-BB access to the email account you configured into BB ID and you do not know your BB ID password, then you need human intervention to resolve the issue (if you need to keep the same BB ID...see the first half of the above post for specifics).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
misa2012

It doesn't matter to me if I keep that want I wouldntt matter to me if I had to change my bb I'd ...how do I do that?I can't used my bbm?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

misa2012 wrote:
It doesn't matter to me if I keep that want I wouldntt matter to me if I had to change my bb I'd ...how do I do that?I can't used my bbm?

The first half of message 6 above...please read that, along with the linked KB. You will have to wipe your BB in order to associate it to a different (and proper) BB ID.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.