Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
shorty1010
My Device: curve
My Carrier: carlie
Accepted Solution

memory card fatal error......

I found that my media card wasn't working after a while and show the fatal error message.... I found that if you take the card out and push the back of the fone where the memory card slot is and also the front side of the fone where the memory card is at the back of it.... I put my memory back in took out the battery and restarted my fone.. And it worked :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: memory card fatal error......

Hello!

Good find! And thanks for posting it!

What happened in your case is the same with all computing devices. Since electricity is constantly passing through, the connectors between the SD card and the BB become corroded over time with oxidation and buildup of "stuff". That "stuff" can impede the good connection between the two. Removing and reinserting the card basically scrapes the connectors against each other, scraping through that "stuff" and allowing a good connection again. The common term for this is "re-seating".

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
leatherneck0317
My Device: 8330
My Carrier: boost

Ok had the same problem with my 8330,its not the cards or software. it is the contacts that connects the two. its not getting enough contact between the card and the slot that it sits in.  After re-installing the memory card in its place and locking it into place,i placed a piece of cardboard between the card and battery so when you the back of the phone on it pushes the memory card into its slot and it can gets good contact. didnt have to re-format the card and saved my pics,videos and music. No problems since with memory card.

Please use plain text.
Hilab
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Good news! As I am not a computer geek, I am happy to bring a message of hope.

I went to the Verizon store on Madison Avenue at 41st St. The tech guy swapped his memory card and mine on our BB's. They each worked. When he put mine back in my BB, nada.

He sold me a card reader that slipped into a USB slot on my laptop. I downloaded the data to my laptop and uploaded it to a new card that went back into my BB. It worked, first time! That never happens.

There is hope and it only cost $20. 

Please use plain text.
DonnaWhyte
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: O2

Hey, i need help my Blackberry Curve 9300 is messed up!

My phone can't read my memory card it says it has Fatal Errors what can i do, my memory card doesnt even work on my boyfriends phone or on any device. What can i do?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

DonnaWhyte wrote:

Hey, i need help my Blackberry Curve 9300 is messed up!

My phone can't read my memory card it says it has Fatal Errors what can i do, my memory card doesnt even work on my boyfriends phone or on any device. What can i do?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

That being the case, the situation is pretty obvious, isn't it? The memory card is bad, and anything that may have been on it is lost for good. You can try, I suppose, 3rd party data recovery tools, but those are usually much less successful with FLASH memory than they are with traditional magnetic disk drive memory. But you never know, I suppose.

On an ongoing basis, what I do when I do my weekly Desktop Software backup of my BB to my PC, I copy the contents of both Device Memory as well as Media Card Memory to my PC...just in case.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iamShiruri
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Sun Cellular

I also have a problem with my memory card.. It reads that ''MEDIA CARD CANNOT BE READ. VERIFY THAT THE MEMORY CARD IS PROPLERY INSERTED, FORMATTED AND NOT CORRUPTED.'' However, I tried to use the NEW memory card to other cellphone units, and it worked... When I tried it on my BB, that message showed... 

In the Settings of the Memory: it showed an ENABLED compression, the media card support is ON. But, the MASS STORAGE MODE SUPPORT is currently OFF and it can't be changed since there's a lock on it.. Can somebody teach me how to make it work???? I'm quite disappointed already on this 2nd-hand unit of mine.. :smileysad: This was just given by my uncle from US.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello -- and sorry for the late reply.

iamShiruri wrote:

I also have a problem with my memory card.. It reads that ''MEDIA CARD CANNOT BE READ. VERIFY THAT THE MEMORY CARD IS PROPLERY INSERTED, FORMATTED AND NOT CORRUPTED.'' However, I tried to use the NEW memory card to other cellphone units, and it worked... When I tried it on my BB, that message showed... 

I am not quite clear on this...is the "NEW memory card" the same one that you cannot use on your BB? Or is it a different card? From your words, I am not quite clear. But, if it is indeed the same card, then the problem is not the card...but rather something about your BB itself.

iamShiruri wrote:

In the Settings of the Memory: it showed an ENABLED compression, the media card support is ON. But, the MASS STORAGE MODE SUPPORT is currently OFF and it can't be changed since there's a lock on it.. Can somebody teach me how to make it work???? I'm quite disappointed already on this 2nd-hand unit of mine.. :smileysad: This was just given by my uncle from US.

I suspect that perhaps your Uncle had this BB perhaps on an Enterprise environment...please check this:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy on the BB, then that could be preventing full functionality...and you must do some rather drastic things to correct it:

• KB18998 How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

You will of course need to backup your data and be sure that you can re-obtain all of your apps (have the source and any license keys in hand). When you restore, do not do a full restore...rather, only restore those things you require, and be sure to NOT restore anything that has to do with IT Policy...if you restore those, you will be right back where you started (a full restore will simply put the IT Policy back onto the BB, and nothing will have changed):

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Lastly...please don't blame the BB for your problems...using a 2nd hand BB is often problematic under any circumstances. Further, if your Uncle did not properly cleanse the BB when giving it to you, then the fault actually lies elsewhere, does it not?

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
trinishorty
My Device: torch slider 9800
My Carrier: bmobile

Hi, i have been having similar problems recently... this is probably my 4th or 5th blackberry, and i've never encountered anything like this prior. 1st, my fone gaveme the error message that there is an error on the media card and if i want the phone to repair it. i click ok, and it says repair failed, and i lose 60% of what was on the card. i restore the card, and try again, and get the same error message some days after, and the message keeps popping up. i change the memory card. got a brand new one. it worked for a few days, then the same message pops up. I then reload the OS, and put in a new memory card, straight out the pack, and now i get the message that theres some fatal error and it can't use my card. i have been looking online for the past few days, and noone has shown me anything that i can do to fix this. Help please??
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

trinishorty wrote:
Hi, i have been having similar problems recently... this is probably my 4th or 5th blackberry, and i've never encountered anything like this prior. 1st, my fone gaveme the error message that there is an error on the media card and if i want the phone to repair it. i click ok, and it says repair failed, and i lose 60% of what was on the card. i restore the card, and try again, and get the same error message some days after, and the message keeps popping up. i change the memory card. got a brand new one. it worked for a few days, then the same message pops up. I then reload the OS, and put in a new memory card, straight out the pack, and now i get the message that theres some fatal error and it can't use my card. i have been looking online for the past few days, and noone has shown me anything that i can do to fix this. Help please??

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given your description, I would deduce a hardware-level problem with the card reader of the BB itself. It could be defect, damage, or otherwise...but deeper diagnosis at an internet-distance is pretty much impossible. Therefore, I recommend that you contact your original place of purchase (or other warranty service provider, depending on the terms of your original purchase agreement) and exercising your warranty coverage provisions.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.