Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

MGD9
My Device: 9650

need to access internet from unlocked 9650 overseas

I have a 9650 (from sprint) that is unlocked due to traveling abroad much of the time for mission work. It will do calls and text but not internet. I use sim cards from the countries I travel to. I believe it is asking for a subsidy code. What is it? and what do I need to do? 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: need to access internet from unlocked 9650 overseas

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I've never heard of, nor can I find researching, anything called "subside code"...are you sure that is exactly what it is? As with any diagnostic effort, exact and complete information is always much more useful.

Do also keep in mind several things:

1) Your BB PIN can only be registered to one carrier BIS system at a time...so if one has not properly released your PIN, the next one won't be able to allocate a BIS account for it.

2) You must be using BB-supporting carriers...non-BB supporting carriers will only be able to deliver voice-level services to you.

3) If the carrier network does not natively support your specific BB model number (I know of no carriers that support ALL BB model numbers), then their system may not be able to deliver BB-proprietary services to you.

With that information, hopefully you will be able to conduct proper research to ensure you can receive the services you require.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
chafeh
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply here. I have same problem with a blackberry 9900.  My PIN is 2xxxxxx. I am testing it with BIS services of MTN Cameroon. How do I know whether this was not linked to another operator not yet released please?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

chafeh wrote:

Thanks for your reply here. I have same problem with a blackberry 9900.  My PIN is <redacted>. I am testing it with BIS services of MTN Cameroon. How do I know whether this was not linked to another operator not yet released please?

Hello,

Only the carriers have access to the necessary systems to make such an inquiry. Only the carriers have the ability to escalate your request to BlackBerry if official help from them is required. Here in this user-to-user community, we have no such access to give you any information.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
chafeh
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Got a response like this below from another forum but do not understand. If you understand better can you explain to me please?

Check PIN in 3 places and had all the same ...
PIN and IMEI checks on the unit (Option -> status) or can be by pressing Alt + Shift + H
PIN and IMEI checks on the battery (open battery and will look PIN and IMEInya)
PIN and IMEI check box.

Third Match PIN and IMEI and they will be the same ...

Then go to this website ... http://xxx.BlackBerry.com
(xxx = xl ato ato Indosat, Telkomsel)

Then Create New Account ... location then will be asked to enter the PIN and IMEI qta ... then click next and it will appear the following text:
Your device has not yet been registered with the network

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

chafeh wrote:

PIN and IMEI checks on the unit (Option -> status) or can be by pressing Alt + Shift + H

This is to see what the BB itself (electronically, inside the memory) thinks these values are. Which you compare to...

chafeh wrote:

PIN and IMEI checks on the battery (open battery and will look PIN and IMEInya)

A label that should be physically on the device, inside the battery compartment, under the battery. And finally compare to...

chafeh wrote:

PIN and IMEI check box.

I think they mean the original package that the BB came inside of from the factory. Those values would be printed on a label on that box.

If all three of those comparisons come up identical, then you at least know that you don't have some sort of counterfeit device (e.g., if the label in the battery compartment had different values than what the first test shows the BB memory thinks it has, then you might have a counterfeit device).

chafeh wrote:

Third Match PIN and IMEI and they will be the same ...

Then go to this website ... http://xxx.BlackBerry.com
(xxx = xl ato ato Indosat, Telkomsel)

Then Create New Account ... location then will be asked to enter the PIN and IMEI qta ... then click next and it will appear the following text:
Your device has not yet been registered with the network

This part seems less proper to me. If the three tests give you a match of PIN and IMEI values, then this seems to suggest trying to register the BB to some carriers BIS site, and if the result is "Your device has not yet been registered with the network", then that might indicate that the device is not registered to any carrier, which means your carrier should be able to register it.

But, my concern with this is -- what if the attempt to register to this bogus site is successful? That would lock your PIN to that carrier, and you'd have to get it removed from their BIS before your carrier could allocate a BIS account to your BB.

Or, maybe they are trying to say to try and try and try with every carrier on the planet, until you get a different result from "Your device has not yet been registered with the network". Which ever carrier provides that different result might be the one that has your BB PIN locked into their BIS system.

Then again, there is always the problem of lost/stolen...if a BB PIN is reported as such, then no carrier can create a BIS account for that BB.

All in all, I have huge doubts about this process you received...if it were me, I'd not try it...rather, I'd ring up my carrier and ask them to see if they can dig deep enough to provide me a proper answer.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates